We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Florida where to go

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Never been to Florida where to go

We have never been to Florida and not sure to look for a place to visit. This what we like and maybe someone can steer us in the right direction.

We like beach, ocean swimming, walking and hiking, hot weather..

We don't need night life or shopping or fine dining. We like to kick back relax and not be around hoards of people.

Is there a place like that there or should we look elsewhere.

Thank you in advance

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,411 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

When are you visiting? There are many smaller towns in Florida but time of year will make a difference on temperatures. Anna Maria Island, Long Boat Key, Sanibel Island are a few places on the gulf coast. Melbourne (Indialantic & Melbourne Beach), Vero Beach, Jensen Beach, Hutchinson Island, Jupiter on the gulf coast. There are also many less populated areas in the upper keys but beaches are small, not like the rest of Florida but the water more than makes up for it.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

I should have said End of January first part of Feburary for time of visit.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

It won't be hot anywhere in January or February. In the Central part of the state, it can be anywhere between 50-80 in the daytime. Every once in awhile, it will freeze overnight. It gets warmer as you go south. The weather is very iffy in the winter. It could be warm for a few days and be cold for a few days.

The above list would be a good place to start.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

That time of year, you will need to go as far south as you can. And still no promise of it being very warm. Look at the middle keys around Marathon.

Maybe Marco Island near Naples.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

Without a doubt , you are talking about Sanibel Island. Check it out ,near Ft. Meyers.It is what you asked for!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,003 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

In January, Marathon in the Keys (look at Key Colony Beach) and Marco Island might be the warmest options.

When I want guranteed warm water and temps int he 80[s then, I head for the Caribbean.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

That is what I was afraid of I was hoping to not have to go to the Caribbean to get warm enough weather but it looks like we may have to.

Not interested in Mexico, been to Hawaii, looking for a different area but like the heat.

I will look at the areas that have been suggested thank you so much.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

There are safe, beautiful places in Mexico if you know where to look. Do a bunch of research on your Caribbean islands. Some are very nice, some are not so safe. You will pay a huge premium in the winter.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

What is "hot" weather to you? Most Canadians I know think 27 C is hot. If that's the case, you will do fine in South Florida. The Keys don't offer much in hiking though. Naples area might be your best bet for a warm location within driving distance of decent trails.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,003 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been to Florida where to go

I like Antigua a lot, and have taken my kids there a bunch if times at February half term (around president's week). We usually rent a villa with pool or a townhouse at Jolly harbour. Went to Barbados too.

But if this Feb is like last, it should be warm enough in the keys (it was even warm at my place in SW gulf coast.)