We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive A1A from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale

Pelican Rapids...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Drive A1A from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale

I am driving from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale and thinking of taking A1A Coastal drive-splitting it in half on my way down to Ft Lauderdale and seeing the other half on my way back (also wanting to stop at Cape Canaveral and St Augustine lighthouse on the way back). I have a time restraint to get to Fort Lauderdale the day I fly in (6.5 hours of driving time), no time restraints on the way back. How would you split the 2 days driving the coastal drive to get it all (or most of the prettiest scenic spots) in?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,367 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive A1A from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale

The drive between Fll & Palm Beach will have some beach views but will also have a lot of hotel and condo views. Once you get to Jupiter stop and check out the Blowing Rock Nature Preserve : nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northameri…

I beleive you will have to head inland here also as I don't think there is a bridge over the inlet at this location. You will find this same issue at Ft. Pierce inlet and Port Canaveral. From Jupiter I would hit I-95 till Vero Beach then head back over. Stop at the Ocean Grill in Vero Beach for lunch. Then is you have time stop at Sebastian Inlet state park and walk out on the jetty to watch the surfers and fisherman. Depending on time of year and clearness of water you can sometimes see the fish swimming along the rocks as well as manatee. floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/activit…

Use mapquest to see the approximate drive time by taking A1A which may help in your planning. From Melbourne to St. Augustine is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours on I-95.

2. Re: Drive A1A from Jacksonville to Fort Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:17