We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

Hello everyone ,

Till today morning i was sure i wanted to plan my trip to key west for my 10th anniv for 5 days with our 6 year old son . now i am looking at so many places which we havent been too , pensacola beach is tempting me , tampa etc ...

we are looking for a relaxed vacation with some sightseeing ...

what would you recommend ??

we have been to disney world twice loved it , have been to cocoa beach as well ...

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

I suspect that catering to the six year old is likely to be a winning strategy. Any particular likes or dislikes? Is he an indoor or outdoor kid? Airboats? Surfing lessons? A museum full of Ice Age monsters?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

he is fond of beaches , and anything to do with water ... i would say more of an outdoor person .

another place added onto my list is Destin ... the list is growing bigger.

destin, key west , pensacola or tampa .

I know tampa has busch gardens which we can go to ....

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,733 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

Yes you are right there are lots of options to choose from. What time of year? That can make a big difference in where you want to be in Florida. Keep in mind the keys are beautiful but the beaches are smaller, not miles of beach to walk on. If you decide on the Tampa area look at staying in Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach as Tampa is on the bay. Its about 45 min drive to / from the beach. Another great area for relaxing that still has plenty to do is Siesta Key or Anna Maria Island, etc on the lower gulf coast. Are you flying or driving?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

Florida urban areas are mostly not very interesting. Urban sprawl. The Tampa Bay urban area has more than 4 million people.

The state does well with water sports, mostly in coastal areas. There's harbor tours, aquariums, kayak tours...quite a bit of stuff. The northern peninsula has a large number of springs, some of them huge.

http://www.floridasprings.org

The westernmost big spring is Wakulla Spring State Park, south of Tallahassee.

The state park system is impressive, including some of the state's best beaches. At a number of parks, concessionaires offer boat rentals or boat rides. The St. Johns river boat cruise at Blue Spring State Park (NE of Orlando) is under-publicized.

A lot does depend on season. Even if it's cool, playing in the water isn't out of the question. Wetsuits need not be wildly expensive.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

We are coming from Minneapolis so it will be a flight for us ...

We are coming during thanksgiving weekend .

I think we want a beach centric place plus some sightseeing ...

So I think now I'm considering the west coast??

Sanibel , clear water, Sarasota etc ..

Which ones would u recommend ?? We are coming for 5 days ...

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

Thanksgiving creates problems with crowds in some places.

Sarasota has Mote Marine Lab, guided boat tours of the bay, a modest circus museum and Ringling's museum of oversized Baroque art that might even appeal to a kid. As Florida cities go, it's a class act. It even has a liberal arts college that's part of the state university system.

Clearwater, as noted, is part of a big urban area but is close to the airport, unless there's a traffic mess on the causeway.

I am otherwise not very good at the Gulf coast. I would commend Longboat Key for a wonderful job of turning a wasteland into a splendid natural area on the bay.

longboat.municipalcms.com/pview.aspx…

Florida...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

According to me pensacola is best place. It's my opinion.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

What's in key west ??

Is it doable that I do a combination of a gulf coast beach n key west ??

I would make the gulf coast beach as my main stay n mayb do a one day or 2 day tour to key west ... Does that make sense ...

Will the drive be still beautiful as it is from Miami to key west ??

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

Check Google Maps or Mapquest for travel times--they are typically fairly accurate. The drive across the Everglades (if you go that way) can be impressive. The urban and near-urban Interstates and Florida Turnpike, not so much. Think of Houston, with far less money spent on roads.

10. Re: Help - I am getting confused ,planning my 10th wedding anniv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:16