We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

3 posts
Save Topic
My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

Hi guys ,

Wondering If anyone can help my boyfriend and I are travelling to Orlando Florida in Spetember he recently got a caution for assult last November , I don't know if this counts as Moral turpentude on the ESTA if not I know we need to apply for the US embassy what happend if he clicks no? Does it show up at US immigration confused as we have already paid and I have never been this is my dream holiday for my 21st!! Don't know what we should do any help I'd be much greatful!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,003 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

It depends on the type of assault (many aren't MT, some are).

Best to call the embassy and ask.

www.youtube.com/watch…

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
650 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

As posted above, the only way to know for sure is to contact the US Embassy in London and do as they say. It isn't worth the risk of guessing.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

Thanks guys ,

I did ring the Embassy on friday and they told me that any type of warning , caution , arrest or conviction counts but the question that the ESTA ask is this one ;

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Which from what I can tell doesn't relate to cautions unless releated to drugs?

I've looked around online and a lot of people have clicked no when having a caution and been fine , but when gone through the Embassy they have been denied for even the most simple cautions? Has anyone been through this and can tell me what they did?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,003 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

moral turpetude regards more than just controlled drugs. Some aggravated assaults and others can be also interpreted that way.

So, embassy or lawyer to explain MT I guess.

And don't dally in deciding, a VISA can take 6 months.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

I know his caution is for assualt but not sure which kind he got into a fight with his Stepdad, that's the issue we have is we leave in just under 4 months which is why were tempted to click no ? A lot of people have done it they've said on other sites and got away with it as US don't have access to UK records but because its so recent I'm not sure if it would come up when they scan the passport?

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

Hi my boyfriend and I are due to fly to New York on December 30th about a month ago he got a caution for assault..the officers tried to get no further action but the main lady insisted an assault was the right thing. He has clicked no on the question have you ever been involved in a crime involving moral turpitude.

Will this affect him getting in?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,003 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

He could be refused entry, but only if the assault counts under moral Turpetude. Simple assualt doesn't I dont think. Basically, a Caution you have to agree to, and in effect is an admission you committed the crime in question.

Being refused entry is serious and expensive. But hopefully wont happen. Be careful with your answers (be truthful but don't supply extra information unless asked specifically).

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

Hi amanx

Thanks for your reply.

All he did was push the guy? It was nothing like with the intent to kill, carrying a weapon etc.

Some sites I'm reading I think he'll be fine and others I'm panicking!

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

Hi amanx

Thanks for your reply.

All he did was push the guy? It was nothing like with the intent to kill, carrying a weapon etc.

Some sites I'm reading I think he'll be fine and others I'm panicking!

10. Re: My Boyfriend has a caution does he need to apply for a Visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:18