We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Florida

We are considering a vacation in August to Tampa or Key West with our young adult children (19 and 20). We might do a cruise for part of the trip, but we are kind of burned out on cruises. We are budget conscious. I have been looking at these two areas for so long that now I am thoroughly confused. I would like to snorkel, and looking for the clearest and safest waters/area. A trip through the everglades sounds good, but we are really up in the air! lol

Any suggestions? If you had a week, what would you do?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida

I would post this question on the specific forums for Tampa and Key West where you'll get lots of good responses rather than just the Florida state forum. (Sorry I'm not a regular traveler at either of these places.)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,380 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida

For the best snorkeling in Florida you will want the keys. The water is beautiful there and the keys are great. That is where the nicest reef system is where you will find corals and tropical fish. Tampa is not located on the ocean but is on the bay. The nearest beaches to Tampa are Clearwater or St. Pete Beach, however this is not really an area for snorkeling. As suggested above I would post on the Florida keys forums and either Tampa or Clearwater forums for info on those specific areas.

The keys are basically Key West and the upper keys. Many people do a couple nights Key West and a couple night in the middle or upper keys. We like to spend a week in Key Colony Beach near Marathon and make day trips to the other keys. I personally would not want to do the Everglades in August, it will be very hot and lots of bugs. check posts by keysmom for Everglades info, she is on the Florida keys forum usually. Some info may be found on the Miami forum too about the Everglades. Make sure you read up on cashless tolls too and which car rental company to use. That info is also on the Miami forum.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida

Snorkel Key Largo, the 4 1/2 hr tour out of Pennekamp is excellent. Go to ENP early, try the Anhinga trail.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida

Tampa is not on the Gulf of Mexico, so if you are looking for beaches, you might want to look to the barrier islands. Clearwater Beach is beautiful with lots to do to keep young adults entertained and would be about 35 minutes from the Tampa airport. It is close enough to see the sites of Tampa, yet be able to enjoy the beach and the laid back atmosphere. It was voted best beach town in Florida this year. The beaches on the Gulf coast are white, soft, sand, and Clearwater's beaches are beautiful.

The water on the Gulf coast is not as clear as it is around the keys, so the snorkelling isn't great. The best snorkelling in Florida is in the Keys - John Pennecamp State Park in Largo is a great suggestion - however if you are looking for good beaches, you won't find many in the Keys.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida

Agree with other posters - skip the Tampa thought and focus on Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach areas. That said, that area is different than the Keys so you'll have a tough choice as both are nice and relaxing. I feel that the Clearwater area is less expensive than the Keys but that could be perception since I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida

Thank you everyone!

7. Re: Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:19