We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A change of route?

central scotland
Level Contributor
89 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
A change of route?

We are planning another November visit to Florida and are very tempted to just repeat our favourite route yet again - but maybe we should find some alternative stops. Our usual route is (from MCO) St Augustine, Cedar Key, St Pete Beach, Fort Myers Beach, Marathon, Cocoa Beach. We have about 3 nights in each. We have also stopped at Naples, Everglade City, Sebastian. As you can see we don't want to go near Orlando. Cedar Key is probably non negotiable - it is just so relaxing and different. Was thinking maybe we could substitute Anna Maria Is for one of the other Gulf coast stops, or maybe skip the Keys. Suggestions welcome.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,923 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A change of route?

It seems you like small towns. I love Cedar Key. It is a nice little place. You might make a stop at Homassasa Springs on your way down from CK. For another off the beaten path kind of place look at Matlacha and Pine Island near Ft. Myers. No beaches but Tarpon Lodge is right across from Cabbage Key where you can take a boat and eat at the place where Jimmy Buffet is supposed to have written Cheeseburger in Paradise. Its all old Florida in this area. On the Atlantic side Jupiter and Stuart are other nice smaller towns with good restaurants and nice beaches.

central scotland
Level Contributor
89 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A change of route?

Thanks for that. Will check out those places.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A change of route?

What about the panhandle region of Florida ... Pensacola, Ft. Walton, Panama City, St. George Island etc?

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A change of route?

Have you driven the coast through Flagler County on the way to St Augustine? I always think that Flagler Beach is a neat little town with a very nice beach. It may get a little chilly in November though.

I'm not a huge Daytona fan, but I do enjoy the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet and a couple of the restaurant/bars in that area.

I also think you should visit a couple of the state parks. You will go by two nice ones on the way from Orlando to St Augustine. Fanning Springs near Cedar Key is also a neat place to sit on the concrete dock and watch some large fish jump out of the water.

Once again, as you get north of Orlando in November, it could get rather chilly if the right weather front come through.

central scotland
Level Contributor
89 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A change of route?

Thanks for the suggestions. We have decided to include Jupiter and Flagler Beach for a couple of nights each in our route this time. Sadly the panhandle will be too cold for us in November.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A change of route?

Ami is a good suggestion and if it wasn't for November I wold say the Panhandle too. But too cold for me up that way then.

Sanibel and Captiva are charming too.

Cabbage Key is OK, but the burger (adn restaurant) are way over rated.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A change of route?

Try Marco Island. You will not be disappointed.

8. Re: A change of route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:16