We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel room booking advice

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel room booking advice

Hi,

We are looking to do a Florida road trip from 6th April 2014 to 20th April 2014, taking in Miami, Key West, Key Largo, Naples, ST Petersburg, ST Augustine, Cocoa Beach and West Palm Beach.

My question, I have read that room vacancies are tight at high periods i.e. Easter and it is preferable to pre book. I was considering only pre booking the first couple of nights when we arrive then booking as we go. What advice would you give on booking a room. There will only be two of us and as we will have a car we will be pretty flexible.

Thanks in advance.

HS

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,893 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel room booking advice

My only areas of concern would be the Keys. Id be sure I had a room and a room I could afford in those areas.Id also check to see there isnt anything going on in a city the night I planned to be there. From there Id be sure to spend lots of time learning about Priceline and their booking app, though Id use it with caution, especially if I had an aversion to sleeping in a smoking room.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,366 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel room booking advice

I would pre book Miami especially if staying on South Beach. Just because this is very large city and you don't want to drive around in that traffic trying to find something affordable. If you stay on South beach you can walk to lots of things from there. You pretty much will have to pay to park everywhere and some hotels include parking. Or you can choose a public pay lot but then you have to walk to your car to use it.

I agree with objets I would also book Key West. The other areas should not be fine altho Cocoa Beach could be a little crowded. Might want to email a few hotels to see if the have plenty of rooms left when it gets closer to the time to visit. You can find Room saver booklets at rest stops and at McDonalds. I don't use them very often but they do have a list of hotels in the area and phone numbers so you can make some calls and check the rates. Room savers coupons sometimes save money sometimes not.

Keep in mind if you use sites like Priceline, Hotwire, etc some of them are non refundable. With hotwire they don't tell you the hotel until after you have paid the money. You can't change hotels if you don't like it and they don't even want to talk to you when you complain. I know lots of people get good deals with hotwire but we only use them for rental cars.

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel room booking advice

Thanks for the replies so far, the advice you have both provided has been most helpful. Your assistance is very much appreciated. Thanks!!

HS

4. Re: Hotel room booking advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21