We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to holiday in Florida?

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to holiday in Florida?

Hi all,

Me and my partner have never been to America and we are looking at making the trip next year. I am a big Disney fan so we are spending a week there taking in as much as we can of Disney and Universal.

We are spending 7 days there before another 7 days somewhere in Florida but are at a loss of where to go next. People are telling us Miami, one of the Lakes, Tampa Bay, Naples, Panama City, etc.... We just need some guidance of where would be best to spend our second week, taking in as much as America can offer in that location.

Can anyone provide some much needed guidance?

Bec.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Naples Bay Resort
Naples Bay Resort
1,773 Reviews
Naples, FL
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Not trying to sound dismissive, but I really think you need a good guide book first. Do some reading and just see what the areas offer vis-à-vis your interests.

BTW, what are your interests?

When is the trip in question?

What is your budget?

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Very good points, I could have written a more concise post! We have been looking at the internet rather than a guidebook tbh.

We would be going in October next year and a budget is not really a worry as we are v.good at finding decent apartments on the cheap, its an odd gift!

We would like to be near water ideally, I like the beach and my bf prefers swimming pools and lakes. He is desperate to go kayaking somewhere but is not a fan of doing so in the sea. Would there be any white water rafting or decent cycling areas? We like to relax bit prefer to be active in the main.

My bf would love to go to an American Football game as well.

I hope that provides a better idea as we go searching for our second week as well.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

I see we are neighbours! Any of the places already mentioned would be good. We like Naples.

For the football, do you mean a professional game (NFL)? That means Miami, Tampa or Jacksonville, so you might want to be a short journey from those cities? I have seen school/college football in Naples.

You can kayak in the Everglades (says Naples). I doubt there's any whitewater in Southern Florida but I gather there is in the North on the Suwannee River. That says Jacksonville etc.

Consider the distances. Orlando to these places is about 200 miles/3 hour drive.

You could drive down to Naples via the Gulf Coast, which has great beaches, across on US41 or Alligator Alley, then back up the east(gold) coast. There are nice beaches around Ft. Lauderdale. The Keys are nice too!

Plenty of choice, you just need to narrow it down!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Alligator Alley
Alligator Alley
13 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Hi bec... Do you fly in and out of Orlando ? If so, you need to work out your driving distances between each stop, just type it in google, its easy enough to do. For a very rough guide, you could do....

So 1st stop ... Orlando one week

2nd stop.. Miami three nights

3rd stop... Key largo or islamorada. One or two nights to do your water based stuff.

4th stop.... Naples or marco island. Two or three nights to Visit the Everglades from there, shopping and boat trips.

Back up to Orlando

There's so much to do you will be spoilt for choice so just make a must do list... There's always another year...

Happy planning!

Edited: 16 September 2013, 09:14
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Wow, we have a fellow Ipswich person and someone planning our holiday. My bf will be impressed when i present to him a potential itinary including route planner!

We defintely like he idea of moving around but don't want to spend half a ay in the car at a time, although he has driven to Manchester and back so often that he should be used to it!

The travel agent seemed quite keen on Naples, although other friends recomment St Petersburg. My bf would like to see some NFL but its not an essential part of the holiday, its more a "nice to do if we can" thing.

White water rafting was a long shot (and not really my idea) but kayaking in the Everglades looks good.

Thanks everyone for your continued help.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Well the Buccs play in Tampa Bay, and staying nearby the whole time will give you a chance to rent a Condo as you wanted. Can't really do that if you are stopping a night or two here and there. Basing yourself south of tampa bay will make you close enough to drive to a game, and close enough to drive south to the everglades for a day trip.

St Pete could work, as would AMI, Longboat Key, Lido Key, Siesta Key.

Would your OH like kayaking in the bays that are between the mainland and the beach islands? Lots kayak the mangroves there, and you can see dolphins and manatees quite often. Water is calmer than the sea there.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Lido Key
Lido Key
Sarasota, FL
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Florida is flat. No white water. If you don't want to kayak in the ocean. there are the rivers, springs, and saltwater intercoastal bays.

Unless it is in the springs, you don't want to swim in many lakes here.

Panama City and Miami are both long drives from Orlando.

Cycling areas: Look at the West Orange Trail while you are in Orlando.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 13:34
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
West Orange Trail
West Orange Trail
118 Reviews
Apopka, FL
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

Surffish - there is apparently white water in Northern Fl - see this site and look at the river info.

http://www.floridarafting.com/

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

That is a new one for me considering the highest point in the state isn't much above 300 ft above sea level. They do look quite a long way from Orlando though.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to holiday in Florida?

He has no problem with canoeing between in the bays, i think his just worried that in the open sea he would be swept away lol.

I think the keys around St Petersburg (or the place itsdelf) are the winenrs here. If anyone knows of hotels to avoid in this region then let us know.

Many thanks for all your help, its been birlliant! :)

Mentioned in this post