We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida off the beaten track

Carmarthen, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Florida off the beaten track

Hi guys

It's my first time posting on here so a big hello to you all.

My family and I have been to Florida/Orlando on 3 occasions now and absolutely love it . We went in April of this year with another family (party of 8 in total) and found the experience even better .

Both family's are looking to go again in 2015 , after a little discussion we decided we'd like to go again but NOT do the whole Disney attraction thing .

So as my title suggests can anyone recommend any attractions that are a little under the radar and off the beaten track ?

We tend to hire a private villa as it suits us with the younger children and like to be near some golf courses .

So if anyone can suggest anywhere to stay and where to go it'll be very much appreciated , I know it's an early post seeing as we aren't going till 2015 but I like to plan ahead !!!!

Many thanks

Regards

Steff

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida off the beaten track

How about St. Augustine? The area around Ponte Vedra is well-known for its golf courses, and there are gorgeous beaches to explore, as well as the town of St. Augustine.

Not untouristed, but worthy of your time and much closer to "real" Florida than an amusement park.

Northants
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida off the beaten track

Yes we loved St. Augustine too - we drove up on a day trip from Orlando but could have done with a few day there - there is quite a lot to see and do. We will definitely return. I imagine that is how America used to be many years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida off the beaten track

There is a series of books (3 in all, I think) called One Tank Trips by Bill Murphy. It is all about driving in Florida along roads you would not normally think of. See if you can get one or more of them.

Otherwise, let Google be your guide. Read any and everything a google search brings up about Florida.

Rye, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida off the beaten track

We rented a villa in Rotonda last year and had a great time, a million miles away from the noise and bustle of the theme parks.

If you read other posts about Rotonda you will see that is mainly a residential area with lots of villas rented out by English owners. It is a bit out of the way but still close enough to eat out and shop and still plenty of places to visit.

Our villa was right by a canal and the wild life we saw each day beat the Everglades where most of the wildlife is frightened away by the noise of the airboats. We saw aligators every morning gliding past, turtles that came out to sun bathe and loads of birds, a really lovely spot.

Visit Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda while you are there.

Hope you have a great time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida off the beaten track

St A is a good idea, but not so sure in April (it is pretty far north so can be a bit cool there then).

So if same time of year, i'd look to be south of Tampa (either side of FL) but would suggest the Gulf coast and the sleepier areas such as Englewood, Manasota Key, Casey Key. Bradenton not so sleepy, but has villas in some areas. I have chose these over other areas like Sarasota proper as I know they do 1-2 week rentals- you need an area that is zoned the right way. Some areas of FL are one month and even 3 month minimums.

And they have lots of Golf courses in those areas (rotonda mentioned is next to Englewood and there are many courses around). They are also Day trip area for places such as Busch Gardens, Ft De Soto Park, Sanibel/Captiva, and even the everglades.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Casey Key
Casey Key
Florida
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,672 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida off the beaten track

Altho I love St. Augustine and also wanted to post this link to a great golf course nearby:http://www.pgatourexperiences.com/destinations/world-golf-village/ I also agree with Amanx about the southwest gulf coast. Its very beautiful there, you get great beaches and sunsets. I'm sure there are places with canoe / kayak trips that would be a great way to experience nature. Look at the Everglades forum to decide if it would be worth your time to visit there. Also there are many off the beaten path discussions. You might put that in the search box and get some info. Also look at posts by bluerusso. He has great info on nature and historical aspects of Florida.

7. Re: Florida off the beaten track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:20