We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

Hi there,

I am planning to be in Florida next spring (around April/May) and am very keen to photograph bald eagles as part of this.

If anyone can please tell me what are the chances of seeing eagles at this time are and the best good locations for viewing them (preferably as close-up as possible) I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI I will be in the Naples area but am willing to travel.

Thanks!

Edited: 30 October 2013, 15:02
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,248 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

dont see many in our area but occaisionally see them on the way to Kissimme along Highway 192. Here is a link to the Florida birding trail that may help: floridabirdingtrail.com/index.php/…

You might also check with Ding Darling wildlife refuge to see if they nest there.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

There is currently a nest near the entrance to Fort Desoto Park in St Petersburg. Sometimes we see the eagles, sometimes we don't. It is on the right side of the road, near the turnoff for the campground. You can't miss it if you're looking up. Not sure if it will still be there in the Spring.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

There are, happily, lots more of them than there used to be....but they're anything but common.

I know there's a big nest at Cape Canaveral -- you might also want to contact the Everglades folks to see if they know of any nesting pairs.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,066 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

I have seen them easily at Myakka River park just outside Sarasota, but I also see them right here in my housing development!

We have lots of undeveloped land in a wildlife preserve, and there are some there so I see them round and about (even a few younger ones just into their white head feather stage eating roadkill of all things).

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

There are a lot of tall trees east / northeast of Orlando...you would be more likely to see them in areas with tall trees.

I've seen quite a few in the Daytona Beach area, but they are not a common sight.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 23:17
North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

Check out the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam that shows a nest in North Fort Myers. It's right across the road from the Publix on Bayshore Rd, just west of I-75. There's plenty of parking along the road to watch. They've been pretty successful in raising eaglets the last few years. They raised 2 last year. By the middle of May, the young ones leave the nest, and the adults stick around until the end of June, then come back in September. You can watch the eagle cam until you visit the nest, so you if the cam looks good, it will be worth the drive from Naples.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,346 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

There is a family of bald eagles at Mule Key, about five west of Key West. Many of the smaller snorkeling / kayaking trips go out here but the chance of seeing them is just that - chancy.

Pjk

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

See https:/…search and enter "Naples" or some other community farther inland. Be sure to allow a sufficient radius -- something in the range of 15-40 miles will do.

I often drive past one around the Cape Canaveral area -- possibly the one previously mentioned. In that same area, we have dozens of eagles' nests around the St. John's River watersheds and also at the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (which has more species of wildlife than just about anywhere in the US), but you really don't need to drive that far to photograph eagles.

Good luck!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

Cool website -- thanks!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to see bald eagles in Florida?

There are a pair about 2 hours north of Naples in Venice. They are at the Venice airport and can be photographed on the bicycle/walking trail along the intercoastal at the Circus bridge. They are easily viewed.