We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

Hi All

Still doing my research but thought maybe someone could help...

The last leg of our 6 week USA trip is Florida.

We have booked the last 10 days to stay in Orlando so the teenagers can do the theme parks, shopping plus a few day trips (within one hour or so from Orlando).

We will have two nights prior to this to see attractions further away.

We do want to see the Everglades and Miami but these seem to be four hour drive so it seems best to overnight.

Where would be the best place to stay?

We might end up staying two nights so we can see Miami, Fort Lauderdale and the Everglades.

We will be there mid January 2014.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

Well according to viator.com - Miami to the edge of the Everglades is 31 minutes.... Thought it was a little longer myself...

I would definitely stay a couple of nights in Miami and do the Everglades - they are once in a life time experiences in my book.

We love both Miami and Fort Lauderdale, different vibe to both... Depends on what you are looking for, I guess. Although we've stayed in both, seems strange that we've never done the Everglades but we are returning in a couple of weeks but this time staying in marco island...

Marco island or nearby naples is another option for you.....

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

Some of this depends on your definition of "Everglades". Did you want to see the National Park ? Fancy an airboat ride ? Prefer to hike a bit ? Jan is a very busy time of the year, book soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

Well that is where my research is lacking.

From what I have read so far, a boat trip is recommended & We will have a car .

My daughter just said to me " I want to go to the Everglades " so seeings as this was not a theme park or shopping mall I thought it was something I should investigate ! i originally thought it was close to Orlando .

The kids like camping but we will have no gear so day hike at maximum.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 13:15
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

"We do want to see the Everglades and Miami but these seem to be four hour drive so it seems best to overnight. Where would be the best place to stay?"

TA has a dedicated Everglades forum. Why don't you ask there?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143024-i1654-Ever…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,769 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

For the everglades I would stay in Miami and do it as a day trip. Then drive back up to Orlando via the turnpike. So choose your car rental with care as Dollar Thrifty may not be the best deal for you.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

Depending on your kids ages and tolerance I'd suggest Everglades National Park. Two areas come to mind, Shark Valley and the Anhinga Trail. Shark Valley offers the option of riding their tram or renting bikes, not too much hiking IMO. The Anhinga Trail is small compact and easily hiked, no bikes or tram though. Be sure to educate yourself on FL's cashless toll system, as you are sure to encounter them in and around Miami. Plenty of hotel choices just off the Turnpike in Miami or Homestead, depending on which area you visit.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

The Everglades is a vast area, at one time it covered more than 12,000 sq. miles today it is still a large parcel covering more than 3,500 sq. miles. The headwaters of the Florida actually starts right here in Orlando with a Creek called Shingle Creek. There are several airboat companies that take you into the headwaters of the everglades located in Kissimmee and St Cloud. Some using small 6 passenger boats and some using large 20 passenger boats. Marsh Landing Adventures , Wild Florida.

http://www.orlandoairboattours.com

8. Re: Overnight trip to Everglades from Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:16