We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

55 plus community , looking for a nice condo or home

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
55 plus community , looking for a nice condo or home

We are active 65, we in search of a recommendation as to which community to rent , does anyone have a suggestion. I will use vrbo.com, I am not looking for the cheapest. I am looking for something really nice. Thanks. We usually go away jan, feb, march

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 55 plus community , looking for a nice condo or home

What city do you want to be in or near? Atlantic coast or gulf coast? do you want to be near or on the beach? Need more info in order to help.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,972 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 55 plus community , looking for a nice condo or home

Don't limit yourself to over 55 communities either.

Many communities are over 55 heavy at that time of year (snowbird retirees renting houses or retired vacation home owners wintering), so I would choose an area and home you like over worrying about age restrictions.

You won't see many kids around even normal communities then. Local kids are in school, and tourst kids dont come until late march/april in most cases.

Fort Walton Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 55 plus community , looking for a nice condo or home

Pretty much South of Orlando is your Oyster if you are looking for an area in Florida for an active retirement community. I mainly know the West Coast, although the Gold Coast of Fl has a large retirement community, but it will be very expensive (west Palm beach down to the Keys). As well as Naples is supposed to be one of the most expensive areas in Florida (next to Miami)

I do want to mention a few places. The Villages. It is actually North of Tampa, but I believe has one of the largest retirement communities in Florida. You can check them out on line. Also South of Tampa is Sun City. Also a very large community. I use to work with a woman who lived there and loved it. There were always plenty of activities. The advantage of Sun City over the Villages is that you are right in between Tampa and Sarasota. Both very nice areas and plenty to do in each city. Below Sarasota is a town called Venice. It has a little bit of a small town feel, but there is a lot to do. It is near some beautiful beaches. It also has a large number of retirees. I briefly lived in a town called Englewood ( below Venice). It is made up of a lot of retirees. It is not an expensive area to live, but truthfully, there is not a huge amount to do, unless you are willing to drive a bit to get there. My landlord was from Vermont, but he loved Englewood. I think he liked that it was quiet and not overly busy. Englewood is right on the beach as well.

Destin is also becoming a larger retirement community. It is a beautiful area, but it does get cold in the winter. Maybe not to Canadians, but cold to those of us who have lived in Fl most our lives. Destin is on the beach. But if you like the culture of museums and plays, etc.... the upper part of Fl really lacks a lot of that. Hopefully those are a few good suggestions to help you in your search Best of luck!!!

4. Re: 55 plus community , looking for a nice condo or home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 06:18