We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida summer beach vacation

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Florida summer beach vacation

We are a family of four, including 2teenagers of 18 and 16. Want to vacation on Florida beach on the Gulf side for a week mid June. Have done some research and we are looking at Resorts n Clearwater beach or St. Pete's. We would like to stay where the water is nice and clear, resort type hotels right on the beach with palm trees on property and just relax and do a couple of excursions like a snorkeling one and dolphin one. Saw an old post from 2005 saying that st.pete beach is a better beach overall to stay in than Clearwater. We have never been to any Florida beaches. Any updated feedback would be great. We have heard a lot about Destin as well so any feedback on CW vs SPB vs Destin would be great. Thank you!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

I retpyed my question because I couldn't find my post. I also threw in Destin to compare to Clearwater beach and st.pete beach.......thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

Your post is here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28930-i18-k701376…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

If you are going in June, I'd suggest looking up June Grass.

As I have never seen it affect Tampa bay beaches or south incl CWB and SPB.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

Clearwater Beach and St. Pete Beach have different personalities - so it's very difficult to say which one is best. Beach community preference is really individual - so it depends on what you enjoy in a beach town, which beach you would enjoy the most.

Clearwater Beach is a bustling community and is only 2 blocks wide and a couple of miles long. It has lovely restaurants - many right on the beach and most everything is within walking distance from the hotels. Clearwater Beach tends to attract a younger crowds than St. Pete Beach.

St. Pete Beach is a city with a long coastline, so it is much more spread out than Clearwater Beach, and therefore the beach isn't as crowded. Depending on where you stay you

might need a vehicle to travel to restaurants and things to keep you entertained.

The water clarity would be similar on both beaches and there are plenty of restaurants and activities in both areas. If you want fewer crowds - stay in St. Pete Beach. If you want to park your car and walk to everything, stay in Clearwater Beach.

Clearwater Beach doesn't have as many hotels directly on the beach as St. Pete Beach, so you might want to check out the beachfront hotels and amenities and choose the hotel that works best for you. The prices for resorts vary greatly so if you want suggestions, give us additional information on amenities you want and your budget. Without knowing your price range my suggestion would be that you check out the following resorts: On Clearwater Beach check out the Hilton, the Sandpearl and the Hyatt. On St. Pete Beach check out the Tradewinds - it has a water park.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 11:15
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

Thank you LifesaBeach, having not ever been to any Florida beaches, do you think one of those two beaches would be a good overall beach for us or do you think we should researchthe Destin area as well? So many people from Texas go to Destin probably because they can drive to it and it's closer but wondering how it compares to CwB and SPB in terms of the overall picture like you described the other two. Thoughts?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

Hi Texasgirl - I wish I could compare Destin to CWB and SPB - but I haven't visited it. I have read it's forums and I don't like what I read about June grass - and don't think I'd want to chance it. Google June grass and also read the Destin forum - it will help you decide if it is something you want to risk.

I think either Clearwater Beach or St. Pete Beach would make lovely family holiday destinations. We spend much of the winter in Clearwater Beach and it's our favorite place to holiday. We've been visiting every winter for over 20 years - we visited the area when our children were young after a trip to Disney Land and fell in love with the area. There are lots of fun family activities, the beaches are beautiful, the area is safe, and we've never been bothered by Mosquitos or noseeums that plague other parts of Florida. The only negative about the area is that Clearwater Beach is busy. We love the fact we can walk to most everything and love Clearwater Beach - but if you want a quieter beach then go to St. Pete Beach. My only complaint about the area is the heat and humidity in the summer - but I'm from Canada - and melt when it hits 85 degrees.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 14:58
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

Thank you! I really like the part of being able to walk to restaurants, shops etc at CWB........the heat and humidity, well we would be coming from Austin, Texas where it's hot and humid but hopefully will be able to cool off at nicer beaches since the beaches in Texas are not near as pretty as the pictures of the Florida beaches I've seen....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

Texasgirl - Florida is beautiful!!! I hope you enjoy your trip. If you decide on Clearwater Beach hop on over to our forum. There are lots of answers on top questions - and we are always there to answer any questions that you have or offer suggestions.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

I think the humidity will be similar in Florida and the southern Texas coast. For palms, you might want to be a bit south of Clearwater, though St. Pete has a fine palm arboretum, thanks to local palm enthusiasts and the city's protected location on a peninsula.

For teens from a sophisticated city like Austin, I'm a bit unsure of what corner of Florida might be interesting. Perhaps Sanibel for nature. The Panhandle beaches run the gamut from redneck to Atlanta elite (as in Seaside). In that part of the state, check to see whether there's local lifeguard services. Panama City, for one, is badly lacking. Lifeguards and beach patrols contribute quite a lot to beach enjoyment as well as safety.

For tropical palminess, think about areas from Manatee County south on the Gulf coast or, should you get interested in the Atlantic, from my town southward. I think you will find that on both coasts, that far south, summer is the quiet season and you can hope for deals at restaurants and lodgings.

10. Re: Florida summer beach vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:18