We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

We are planning this for next September, will land at Tampa from New Orleans on Monday afternoon and will leave Tampa for the UK the following Wednesday afternoon.

In between we would like to do something as below:-

Any suggestions on places to see and stay would be really helpful, I know nothing about the roads in Florida so if there are any great driving roads that would also be a bonus!

Thank you.

ps the map hasn't pasted as I had hoped it would but if you are able to spare a minute to copy & paste it into your browser you can see my rough route!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Tampa,+FL,+United+States&daddr=SeaWorld+Orlando,+SeaWorld+Orlando,+7007+Sea+World+Dr,+Orlando,+FL+32821,+United+States+to:Hwy+19+N/FL-19+N/Rte+19+N/State+19+N/State+Hwy+19+N/State+Rte+19+N+to:St.+Augustine,+FL,+United+States+to:Daytona+International+Speedway,+West+International+Speedway+Boulevard,+Daytona+Beach,+FL,+United+States+to:Cape+Canaveral,+FL,+United+States+to:Miami,+FL,+United+States+to:Key+West,+FL,+United+States+to:U.S.+1+N/S+Dixie+Hwy+to:Everglades,+The,+FL,+United+States+to:St.+Petersburg,+FL,+United+States+to:Clearwater,+FL,+United+States+to:Tampa,+FL,+United+States&geocode=Fe99qgEdps0V-ynh0bmzgrfCiDFjtJaviRNfpw%3BFUCGsQEdN_4k-yl_I9aMKH7niDHVK9ajOZ5_mQ%3BFUmfvgEd6isi-w%3BFXgmyAEdSEIn-ylPf991V4LmiDEnYCeLF4Ohwg%3BFdRbvQEdHPcq-ynTzhzaNdnmiDE6yC8PvOGzpg%3BFe0rsQEdJRYy-ymbTFA5q6XgiDGe0VV69bALuw%3BFSmCiQEdedc3-ykRwcgOorDZiDFlT63dcfKW_w%3BFTOudgEd7SIg-yl3I5WtNLHRiDFeO0Z3L-nOPw%3BFewRhAEdIhA0-w%3BFQnaiAEdNNQy-yn_94sr-vXZiDGAB5URgc0GZA%3BFYDIpwEdgAMT-ylBqjppY-bCiDH_i9S8A0DMBA%3B%3BFe99qgEdps0V-ynh0bmzgrfCiDFjtJaviRNfpw&sll=28.243908,-81.609192&sspn=1.889607,2.458191&via=2,8&hl=en

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

For the benefit of subsequent readers, use this URL instead; http://tinyurl.com/o2qw7ur

My overriding concern is that it is absolutely crazy (with no offense to the mentally ill) to attempt to drive 1134 miles in slightly less than 9 days. You have no time to see (I mean really savor) anything.

UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

For the benefit of subsequent readers, use this URL instead; http://tinyurl.com/o2qw7ur

Thank you - my IT skills are somewhat lacking!!

We have done those sort of distances before in a similar timeframe both in California and Spain/France/Italy/Switzerland - albeit on some amazing and spectacular roads. We are both into cars and plan to rent a Corvette (as we did in California) so have no problem spending some time in it!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
768 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

That is a ton of driving. How long are you planning on being at each stop? It looks like you will be in the car for most of your trip. I would recommend cutting a few of your destinations. Maybe start in Tampa, to Orlando then Turnpike down to Key West and then back up West coast to Tampa. Probably skip St. Augustine and Daytona. As far as highways go: I-75 runs up the West Coast, I-95 up the East Coast. I-4 runs E - W and connects I75 to I95 via Orlando..

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
768 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

Also, the roads in FL are not exactly scenic. Mostly highway driving between the destinations mentioned. I lived in FL for 3+ years and this does look like too much time in the car.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

What sets Florida apart from other destinations is the laid back atmosphere. The state is beautiful but the drives are not scenic and the whole state is very flat with no elevation. I'd recommend staying in a small area, do very little driving and experience Florida. Spend time on the beach, enjoy the sunrise and sunset, kayak, paddle board, walk the beach, go shelling, spend time in Key West, take an airboat ride, swim with the dolphins, spend time in a beachfront bar, find a quiet beach, eat a Cuban sandwich, watch the manatees or birds, view the plants, visit the Everglades, learn about the Cuban history, visit Cape Canaveral. Visiting the real Florida is one of my favorite vacations but you won't get much out of your trip if you try to drive miles and miles . Florida is not that type of a destination - it's a destination that needs to be experienced not watched from a vehicle.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

Definitely too much to cover in the amount of time. You'll be living out of the car.

Btw, for those google maps, put a check mark in the "Short URL" box and use the address that come up ... it's much shorter. Here is what yours would be: http://goo.gl/maps/BMZUR

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

I agree, the Florida keys alone need a minimum of 3 days, especially if driving all the way to Key West. You will want 2 nights there and at least 1 night upper keys. Otherwise, skip the keys this trip. Its not worth driving 4 hours to spend one night. If you do the Keys you will have a day driving from Tampa. Instead why not fly into Miami? Then head to the keys, then head to the gulf coast hitting the Everglades along the way. Spend 2-3 nights either in Sarasota, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, Sanibel Island. Then either another night or 2 in Clearwater and explore Tampa from there, last couple nights in Orlando, visit Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral from there and back to Miami to fly out. Altho I love St. Augustine I think you need to leave the Daytona, St. Augustine off this trip or leave off the keys.

As others have said you need time to explore and see things, not just be exhausted from driving.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

As also mentioned, interstate highways are not scenic. Parts of US 1 though the Keys are. Parts of A1A are, and parts of the panhandle are. Way, way, way too much driving.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,769 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

the one place in FL it is scenic to drive is the drive to Key West, so make the most of that both ways. Stay ther ea number of days.

UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help With Florida Road Trip Please.

" I agree, the Florida keys alone need a minimum of 3 days, especially if driving all the way to Key West. You will want 2 nights there and at least 1 night upper keys. Otherwise, skip the keys this trip. Its not worth driving 4 hours to spend one night. If you do the Keys you will have a day driving from Tampa. Instead why not fly into Miami? Then head to the keys, then head to the gulf coast hitting the Everglades along the way. Spend 2-3 nights either in Sarasota, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, Sanibel Island. Then either another night or 2 in Clearwater and explore Tampa from there, last couple nights in Orlando, visit Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral from there and back to Miami to fly out. Altho I love St. Augustine I think you need to leave the Daytona, St. Augustine off this trip or leave off the keys. "

Thank you.

We are using our BA reward miles so have to fly back home from Tampa as there are no reward flights from Miami. How would your route above work in a different direction ie from Orlando to Tampa as regarding places to stay?