We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route Orlando to Miami?

UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route Orlando to Miami?

Google maps offers a few different routes. Any thoughts on any of these? Is it worth going inland via Lake Okeechobee? If we take the I-95, we would like to come off for a bit & do a bit of the coast road if that is possible, which is the best part to do this? Is it worth stopping to have a look at Palm Beach or is there somewhere better.

These are a couple of the options:-

http://goo.gl/maps/rehre

http://goo.gl/maps/HWhun

Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

The best way is the turnpike, fast. I dont' particularly find the interior scenic, and if I want to go to the everglades I do so. Palm beach is OK, but agin, I want to get where I am going w/o wasting a lot of time.

You could, if you want to take the secnic route, take A1A along the beaches.

If you take the turnpike, once you cross into Dade county, the tolls are cashless. So you DONT want to use Dollar or Thrifty as they charge the most for their toll package.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

Depends on what you like. Going inland you'll go through some very small towns that look like time passed them by. Some don't even have a Macdonalds.

The road along the Atlantic coast is not one continuous road so you will have to cross back to the mainland then find where you can get back over to the coast road which is A1A. Be sure to have a paper map handy to see where you have to cross back and forth, to and from the mainland.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,291 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

Agree with amanx. The Turnpike is the clear choice. floridasturnpike.com/maps/…Mainline.pdf

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

I would go with the A!A route from Jupiter south to Palm Beach. Take a look into stopping at the Blowing Rocks in Jupiter. Palm Beach has Worth Ave where the rich and famous shop and beaches are different at Jupiter and Palm Beach than further south. The inland route near Lake Okeechobee is rather boring with only grassy sugar cane fields to look at. You can't really view the lake without stopping at one of the viewing points as there is a large hill of dirt all the way around the lake.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

Quick= Turnpike - 4 Hours

A1A is continuous between Cape Canaveral and Ft Pierce if you want to go down the coast. It will add considerable time. Further south you have to travel on and off islands, and eventually get to traffic hell down south.

If you do follow A1A for some time, I would pick a point to where you can jump on the Turnpike to get to Miami. Ft Pierce is one of the easiest.

UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

LOL at the comment about some of those places not even having a Mcdonalds. Where I live in the UK, we are 3 miles from the nearest shop and the nearest Mcdonalds is 9 miles away!

Thank you for your suggestions, think we will go with part Turnpike and part A1A, don't want to be driving all day but not in a desperate hurry to get there at the expense of seeing some of the surrounding areas.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

And better yet they don't have a Wal-Mart!!! Yes we have some small towns. Some of our smaller beach towns will not even let any big box stores or restaurant build there. Our Melbourne Beach area will not let anything over 3 stories be built. A couple places snuck in and they changed the laws so no more could build. As stated above, check out the areas that don't have bridges across the inlet. Port Canaveral does not have one, Sebastian inlet has a bridge, Ft. Pierce does not, and I think there is one more place near Jupiter that doesn't. You just have to cross over, head south a few miles and you can get back on A1A for the next stretch.

UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

If we took this route:-

http://goo.gl/maps/caaXX

and stopped at Blowing Rocks (thank you Bornwithwheels) before going on to Palm Beach, should we take the I-95 from Palm Beach to Miami Beach as suggested by Google here, or get back on the Turnpike?

Thanks.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

I-95 can be a pain in the rear as you get into Miami however its the route I would take as you will be much closer to the beach than the turnpike is. You might think about heading over to A1A around Ft. Lauderdale and taking that into Miami Beach. Its much more scenic and altho a little slower its the route I would take. I have been stuck on I-95 2 blocks from my exit for over an hour due to construction. It wasn't even an accident but people would ignored the flashing light that told them to get into the right lane so everyone was trying to cut into the line.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Route Orlando to Miami?

lisaUKuk, have you booked your car hire yet, we're doing a similar trip and haven't booked yet, just wondered who you went with, thanks