We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From New Mexico help!

Roswell, New Mexico
2 posts
Save Topic
From New Mexico help!

We will be driving from Ft Myers to Pensacola is there anything recommended to stop and see? I'm sure the interstate will be the best travel option but we will be willing to wander off for sight seeing!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From New Mexico help!

On e great thing to do it take the Sarasota Friutville rd exit and head to DT/the beaches. Trun rt on St armand's circle (fun shopping and dining) and drive over to City Island/Longboat key. Mote Aquarium is a good stop there (across from the old salty dog which has been on Man vs food).

then drive up Longboat key to anna maria island. Some lovely little places to stop here, or go up the island to rt 64/Manatee. Turn rt at the light an over to the mainland. Turn on rt 41/19 north to Palmetto/St Pete and get onto the I275 and up and over the Sunshine Skyway bridge. Carry on up I275 to 75N or again cut over and drive along the beaches until Clearwater.

Inland, Crystal River you can swim with Manatees.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,979 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From New Mexico help!

That is a LONG drive. To give you an idea, I am in Orlando three hours north of Ft Myers. It is still 400 miles for me to get to Destin. Pensacola is even further.

The west coast doesn't have a long, continuous, coastal road like A1A on the Atlantic. There are plenty of good spots on the Gulf coast though.

Further north, Cedar Key is very old Florida if you like wildlife and small boat type nature tours. There is also a nice park at Fanning Springs. Knowing your interests would help more.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From New Mexico help!

When will you be here? Time of year can make a difference on what we recommend. There are lots of great natural springs to visit in the north florida area but not good for swimming at this time of year. I 2nd Cedar Key but keep in mind it is a very small town, a few restaurants and gift shops in an old Florida atmosphere. Nice are for a kayak or canoe trip thru the mangroves. Nice scenic drive from Ocala if coming from the interstate.

Roswell, New Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From New Mexico help!

May 23rd!

5. Re: From New Mexico help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:17