We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March beach town vacation

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
March beach town vacation

I have a round trip ticket on Delta that I have to use by April 3 and I would like some recommendations on which beach to visit in March. This is my criteria:

1. it must be warm enough to sit on the beach and read (don't mind if I have to wear a hoodie) and do long walks. I would prefer the temp to be at least 70 or very close to it. But I do realize this might not be possible north of Miami.

2. not too crowded--Miami beach is definitely out

3. do not need a resort but would consider one, otherwise we plan to rent a house or condo that is beachfront

4. good seafood restaurants (one or more)

5. a place with natural beauty--pristine sand, blue or turquoise water (some shells would be nice)

6. Has to be located within an hour's drive of an airport.

Thanks for your help. This will be our first trip to FL and we are looking for a relaxing time in a beautiful setting.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March beach town vacation

Let's start with an airport and work out the rest from there. Where can you fly into?

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March beach town vacation

Delta seems to fly all over FL so the choice of airport is not a factor. We would prefer not to drive more than an hour from the airport, but I suppose we could increase that if necessary. Probably would prefer a Gulf Coast beach.

Just want a beautiful, but fairly quiet area with a few really good seafood restaurants. We usually rent beachfront houses or condos at other beaches, but a quiet resort might be OK.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March beach town vacation

Ok repost on the local Gulf coast board you think you'd like to visit

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March beach town vacation

The nice white beaches start at Clearwater Beach and run all the way south. By March, the weather usually warms up, and the weather is nice - but there are no guarantees, a cold front can still blow in. Last March was quite chilly, and wasn't great beach weather.

The biggest problem you will encounter is that March is the busiest month with snowbirds and families with children on spring break. Most oceanfront accommodations (houses and condos) have been booked up for months. We have an oceanfront condo and we're already booked for 2015 and are getting enquiries for 2016.

You can look on VRBO, Flip Key, and Homeway for vacation rentals or contact property managers and see if anyone knows of an available unit. You might have to settle with a hotel room - but even those book up quickly, so you should try to book soon.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March beach town vacation

If delta flies in to SRQ, look at anna maria, longboat key and Siesta Key rentals. Casey key too.

If TPA is your choice, Passe a grille is the least busy beach along there.

RSW, then look at Sanibel/Captiva.

6. Re: March beach town vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:19