We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

Calgary
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

The tail-end of our trip is the drive from Tampa to Miami. We expect to leave noonish and spend the afternoon driving. We are flying out the next day so there is no deadline to meet. At 4 hrs long we'll want to stop to stretch our legs a few times.

We will have driven Tamiami Trail and done the Shark Valley tram on our way to Tampa.

Also will have done Fort Myers/Cape Coral area on the way to Tampa.

Could you recommend some sights that are close to the I75 that we could stop at? We'd want short (1/2 hour or less adventures) close to the I75. Since they're quick we wouldn't want to spend much money for entrance fees.

It will be a Tuesday in April. We are interested in scenery/wildlife, some history, maybe shopping. Short hikes into wilderness are OK. The less populated the better (she types hopefully...)

More water views and gators definitely OK, I only mentioned our previous stops because we don't want to do the SAME sights.

The Oasis Visitor Center would have been perfect but we don't want to drive that way again.

Considered Myakka Canopy Walk but perhaps will take too long and seems to be debate about whether its worth it.

Thanks in advance.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

Not really, all the interesting stuff is off rt 41

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

Its a set back a bit off of I-75 but might be of interest:

http://www.ahtahthiki.com/

Calgary
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

It doesn't even need to be an attraction necessarily, it could be a truck stop with picnic tables by a river with a weird looking tree. Something 2 people from Calgary can't see everyday. :)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

There's more to the Myakka River State Park than the Canopy walk. If you drive to the bridge there's a chance you will see alligators otherwise drive to the end of the road and either do the pontoon boat tour or simply walk along the boardwalk and short trails - good chance to see gators. There's also a restaurant at the end of the road. It's $6/car to go in the Park. Google it for details.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 15:38
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

depending on the time of year and time of day lots of bird roost near the various rest stops, there are two or three on the way across

6. Re: Interesting Pit Stops on I75 between Tampa and Miami?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:20