We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landed in Miami, staying in the coral gable area and...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Landed in Miami, staying in the coral gable area and...

Nothing I was expecting. Got a rental in the hope of driving to the keys one day (will be here for four), but parking is a ripoff - almost $30/day at the hotel, or $5/"x"nb of hrs, based on the mood of the guy running one of those. Around these areas there isn't much to see, that I could tell so far, and I am not sure if the TripAdvisor recommended places would be worth (e.g. little Havana is very much thumbs down in the forums). Driving to S beach? Could try, but if parking is like in the city, then it may be an adventure in itself.

What would a die hard "Miamian" do, for four days, while headquartered in the coral gable area, with a car at her disposal? I would highly appreciate some advices, before my fiancee hangs me for this idea of a long weekend off...

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landed in Miami, staying in the coral gable area and...

First you should post your Miami questions on the Miami forums to get help from the local experts. Don't know if you read any of the info on the forums about Miami as they usually talk about parking the car and using the transit system to get around. Thats why if you stay on South Beach altho its more expensive you can walk to a lot of things and either don't need a car or just leave it parked until you are making a trip outside of the city.

Take a look at Key Biscayne or make the decision to do a day trip to the upper and maybe middle keys. Its 4 hours each way without stops to Key West which is doable but not really worth in IMHO. I love the keys but you really need to have time to spend there. Check out the Florida Keys forum to see if its something you want to do. Maybe book a snorkel trip at John Pennykamp if the water isn't too cold for you. Or just meander thru the keys stopping at things you want to look at. I would at least drive across the 7-mile bridge. Bahia Honda Park is just beyond there and has the largest beach in the keys. (most are pretty small beaches). Pigeon Key has a tour thats historical and interesting. Make sure you stop at Robbies to hand feed the tarpon. There are lots of good places to eat in the keys. You will find all of this mentioned in their forums.

Sorry you got a shock but I thought most people knew that Miami is a large and expensive city. There are art museums, jet boats, tours of the homes of rich and famous, etc The Miami forums should help you find something that will work for you. I would make the trip to South Beach, what the heck you've come this far! Might as well at least say you have been there, done that. If you decide not to go to the keys you could head over to South Beach then take A1A up to Ft. Lauderdale for a day trip. Sawgrass Mills outlet mall is there and FLL is a neat place to visit.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,352 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landed in Miami, staying in the coral gable area and...

IMO the Gables is one of the nicest areas in Miami. Id check out the following:

www.coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

http://lincolnroadmall.com/

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Landed in Miami, staying in the coral gable area and...

Thank you so much for the follow-up.

Realized the mistake ref Miami forum - the mobile version of tripadvisor does not offer city granularity!!! I guess these folks assume someone travels with a laptop or desktop all the time, not leaving those devices at the hotel or home ;-)

Will move to the Miami forum, and see what they have to say ... thanks!

4. Re: Landed in Miami, staying in the coral gable area and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:18