We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 2 months?

NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for 2 months?

We're a retired couple who have wintered in Mexico (which we love) for years. Unfortunately, montezuma has had too much revenge on me

We're looking for somewhere to rent that's on or near a lovely beach that has facilities. Ideally, we'd like a town with good restaurants, charming areas to shop and walk and good medical facilities. We want warmth and an easy way of life. I know traffic can be a problem and would prefer not to have to deal with this.

Does such an area exist in Florida?

Many thanks for your help and time

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,592 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

You want to walk to restaurants in America yet don't want to deal with traffic? Exactly how would you expect htse many restaurants near you condo/hote/ etc stay in business?

On or near a beach, in the USA as in mexico means money. Lots of it, problem is it means more money in the USA where you have property tax, insurance against hurricanes, minimum wage etc. So you wont find anything as cheap as mexico. but you will find much better medical facilities.

So car or no car? Walk to the beach or drive to it? Sunrise and surf, or sunsets and white sand? How many bedrooms? Most important is your budget for the month. The areas of FL that are warm enough in winter, are full of snowbirfds like yourself, who are willing to pay the high price of the USA.

NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Sorry, don't follow your questioning. Many places have a few restaurants within walking distance. We're willing to drive, but don't want to contend with highly trafficked roads on a daily basis.

I'm not seeking specific condo info. but, rather towns where we should look.

I realize that FL will be more expensive than Mexico. That's a separate issue.

Thank you for your time.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

We're looking to relocate to Florida in the next couple of years. Haven't decided on a destination yet.

We did enjoy Venice. Nice downtown. Pretty beach. It doesn't have the types of condos we're looking to buy, (at least not in our budget), but, I really enjoyed the town.

NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Jean, thank u for the info. We plan to check out Venice next month. Some friends just bought a place there.

Last year we enjoyed our visit to San Pedro .

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Look at Bradenton also. It's close to the barrier island of Anna Maria Island and not too far from Longboat Key and Lido Key. In fact I know a couple who live near Boone, NC and they come to Bradenton every year for 3 months. I'll get in touch with them and ask if there are places around where they stay that are available. Have you any specific Winter months in mind?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Avis, if I don't get the info. in the next 3 days, drop me a reminder using the private message feature on TA. You know how to do that?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Sarasota has what you are asking for.

Also, we just stayed a month rental in Bonita Bay (it's a gated community) in Bonita Springs, Fl. I highly recommend it. You can find rentals for it on www.vrbo.com. the name of the community was Wild Pines Condos in Bonita Bay.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,592 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

The barrier islands do suffer high traffic this time of year, but I do think Anna Maria island, and Venice could suit you.

Staying on the mainland a short drive away can bring down the monthly cost if you need to, but would mean less in walking distance.

NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Thank you all so much. This is just the help wanted. We'll go down to Fl. In a few weeks to check these locations. Any suggestions for realtors or are we better off using vrbo or flipkey?

NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for 2 months?

Oops, forgot to mention that we want Jan. and Feb.