We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Hi All,

So we are hoping to get some recommendations! We are planning our wedding - yay!

We had originally planned on doing something in the Caribbean with the turquoise water, white sand beaches and island vibe. However unfortunately my sister is having health issues and cannot travel that far. She just moved to FL so seems like another great option for us.

I was hoping you all could recommend a similar beach location in FL (thinking on the Gulf)

Thanks!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Debacle?

yes it is one asking for a Florida beach like the caribbean lol- try this recent thread?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…56336763

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Where in Florida did your sister move to? Might make it easier for her if you settle on a location that is not too far from her.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Plenty of good options on each Coast. Do you want a wedding right on the beach or overlooking turquoise waters..Maybe the Keys. Morada Bay in Islamorada? Key West...lots of wedding venues down there.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Whatever in the world is a Debockle?

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Thank you all for the replies! She is in the Tampa area and should be able to drive to most areas in FL (within reason of course)!

Thank you for the link Amanx very helpful info there!

We prefer the beach but would be open to a gorgeous setting overlooking the turquoise water as well! The link provided mentioned the panhandle/Destin and above you mention the Keys - which would you all prefer/recommend?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Depends on the time of year and your beach needs. Keys have great water/temps but are short on beaches, Panhandle has great beaches but is cold in winter, and can have June Grass that makes using beaches hard at certain times of year?

Nearby to Tampa, I like AMI and Gasparilla/Boca grande (although this last one is farther) for a wedding setting. Have actually seen a few setups for weddings on AMI at the beachfront restaurants there, looked nice. And there is a state owned place near the light house on Gasparilla south beach, and have seen a superb wedding set up there.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

This one is about 1 hour drive from Tampa. Lido Beach Resort on Lido Key which is off Sarasota. Go to their website: www.lidobeachresort.com and check the Meetings & Weddings link near the top of the page.

Mesick, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

We have been visiting the Gulf Coast of Florida for the past ten years and absolutely love the Treasure Island area. It has such a fantastic tropical feel - gorgeous white sand beaches, warm water, tons of things to do! On our last visit, we saw a couple getting married on the beach - it was beautiful! I have some information about this location on my travel blog that might help with your trip planning, including links for the visitor's bureau, which has a wedding section.

Here is the link - …blogspot.com/search/…20Island

Hope this helps and congratulations!

Christine

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Thank you all I am excited to investigate your suggestions!

Also, would anyone recommend Siesta Key or Naples? Do either of those have the vibe I am looking for? Or Clearwater beach?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caribbean Style Beach Debockle

Siesta Key has beautiful white sand beaches, I love it there. It would be perfect, except there are no beachfront restaurants to hold your dinner/party at like AMI. I don't know of the Hyatt there takes wedding bookings, but you could check.

Naples, again you'd have to check the beachfront hotels there re:weddings in the Naples forum, not seen any there.

I am sure Clearwater would have places to have weddings, but I am not sure the atmosphere is all you might want? Ie the water color etc. Plus the beach is wide so may not have the Caribbean feel you are looking for.

What does your relative who lives there thinkg of our suggestions?