We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning itinerary for a two week trip

Belfast, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
planning itinerary for a two week trip

Hi guys

My girlfriend and I (31 & 24) are travelling to florida for 2weeks, July 13th to July 27th and are looking advice on how to get the most from our trip. We are flying into and out of Orlando and intend to hire a car. We want to do the keys and were thinking of driving down to the keys then work our way back up to Orlando through miami, fort Lauderdale etc. We would really appreciate advice on things like, how long we should spend in the keys and where (we had thought maybe 3/4 nights), how long in Miami, best places to stay along the coast and Orlando. We aren't overly interested in Disney so think maybe 2 nights in Orlando would be enough. We'd like to do the everglades but apart from that it's pretty much a blank canvas so we'd be grateful for any advice on things we should see and do, accommodation, bars, restaurants etc. We want to minimise time spent in the car. We have a reasonable budget but like value for money and are happy with basic but clean accommodation and parking facilities is essential. We are considering Alamo brits for car hire and have read numerous threads on tolls and think the sunpass would be necessary, am I correct? Many many thanks for your replies, they are very much appreciated.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning itinerary for a two week trip

It is about a 5.5 hour drive from Orlando to the start of the Keys and another 2 to 3 hours down to Key West. You are not going to minimise the time you spend in the car if you are going to do the drive there and back!!! The best place to fly into if you want to visit the Keys is Miami but I guess you have booked flights already?

I would do a bit of research and see what there is to do in each of the Keys and the other places you want to visit to narrow things down a bit. We can then try to give more advice.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning itinerary for a two week trip

Check out the Florida Keys and Key West forums. Some people like to spend a couple nights Key West and a couple nights middle or upper keys. I agree, if you can fly into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. If you already booked the flights then maybe spend the first couple nights in either Islamorada or Marathon then a couple notes KW. You can access the Everglades from Miami so allow a day for that or visit it on your way in / out of the keys.

Keep in mind if you fly into Orlando you will probably spend your first night there due to jet lag. Most people don't want to drive very far after a long flight like that.

For Miami look at South Beach, its the most central to much of the beach area, near Lincoln Mall, good restaurants, etc. Check the forums for both Miami, South Beach and Ft. Lauderdale to see what works for you. From Miami / FLL you could decide if you want to visit some smaller towns along the Atlantic or head over to the gulf coast (you could visit the Everglades form that side if you wanted) and visit a few areas along the gulf with great beaches and sunsets.

Belfast, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: planning itinerary for a two week trip

Thanks for the replies guys.

Our return flights to Orlando are already booked - they were alot cheaper than Miami. We don't mind the 5.5 hour drive down to the Keys to kick the holiday off - we just want to avoid driving across Florida to get to places and thereby spending alot of time in the car - hence why we are trying to perfect our itinerary.

I think we will probably spend the first night in Orlando as we land at 1500 and will be tired. After that we think we will drive to the Keys but can't decide where to stay - maybe Marathon for 2 nights and Key West for 2 nights. We definitely want to do the Everglades and at least 3 nights in Miami and then drive up the coast back to Orlando so any advice on where we should stay / places to visit along the coast would be great. We'd maybe like 2 nights in Orlando at the end of our trip.

Many thnaks guys.

4. Re: planning itinerary for a two week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:28