We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

My hubby has been working insane hours and we are looking to take a long weekend getaway just the two of us, without our kids. This will be first vacation we haven't taken our kids. (11,8) We are looking for a resort atmosphere. (think Caribbean island getaway) Our passports are expired so need to stay in US. We just want to RELAX! So I am thinking something on beach, great pools, tiki bar, outdoor dining, hammocks, affordable!! Perhaps it's a pipe dream but looking for any and all suggestions. Thank you!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

I was with you until the "affordable" part. Are you flying ? Driving ?

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

LOL - I hear ya! We plan on flying. Was thinking perhaps somewhere in the Keys (I know that will be pricey) as we have never been to Key West. I have been to Key Largo many moons ago! Or we love the Gulf Coast area. So Clearwater, St. Pete Beach, etc. Wasn't sure if perhaps Marco Island or Sannibel area?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

I was thinking this until you said affordable

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/ But the Keys aren;t known for beaches (unless you like tiny ones like in most of the caribbean)

But then you did say gulf coast and hammocks. but don't say when- has a HUGE affect on price is in/out of season.

. If after easter, you might find decent prices at gulf coast places that don't cater to kids (as they are in school). Look at Harrington House in Anna Maria island.

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

Yes, I had fallen in love with Little Palm Island resort until I got to the prices! $900+/night is not in our budget for this trip. I loved Anna Marie Island options but flights may be more difficult due to connections. Trying to go Nonstop to give us more time there and less time away. thanks for your suggestions!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

Where are you trying to fly into?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

In the keys there are a few places that are adults only (which means 16 in up). I think Lime Tree Bay is one of them but that is not a fancy resort. I think in Key West there is a couple more and the middle keys have a couple. Key West will have more night life and you can always rent a car and make a day trip to other areas in the keys. However there are not miles of beaches, just small beaches interrupted by coral, etc. Some hotels do not even have their own beach. There are also some B&B's in Key West that are adults only but not on the water and some may be clothing optional!

You should really research the Florida Keys and Key West forums and ask some questions there. Bluewater and some of the other DE's for the area will have good info. Sunset Key is not adults only but tends to have less children due to being across from Key West and not accessible on foot. However the price may still be pretty expensive.

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

We are either going to fly into Miami and go to the upper keys or Tampa and then go to one of the gulf coast beaches. (Treasure Island, St. Pete's, Madeira)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

Well if tampa is OK then you can consider Anna Maria as that is the nearest major AP?

I thought you said you had problems connecting there?

9. Re: Looking for relaxing resort vacation without kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18