We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

Newcastle, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and wondering if someone can help me out.

Me, my girlfriend and two friends are visiting I drive in August, we have planned to go to all the theme parks as well as a day in Kissimmee (or however you spell it) and a day trip to see the alligators.

We were thinking of going to a beach whilst in Florida and wondering if anyone can give some advice on which to go to and how to get there, as well as the cost.

We are staying on international drive in Orlando.

Thanks everyone!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,682 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

These are the closest beaches recommended by the Orlando Sentinel.

orlandosentinel.com/travel/…4514450.story

"We were thinking of going to a beach whilst in Florida and wondering if anyone can give some advice on which to go to and how to get there, as well as the cost."

Will you have a car?

This will determine your options and cost.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

The Orlando Sentinel is subscription, so is no longer the useful vacation-planning site that it once was.

Orlando_Vic is correct about having a car. It's not worth discussion options until that part is figured out.

There's quite a lot of information available on Florida beaches. A useful quick list of outstanding ones from "Dr. Beach" (a geologist at the state university in Miami) suggests two in the St. Petersburg and Clearwater areas (both requiring car). I met him several years ago, and he's a credible beach critic:

http://www.drbeach.org/top10beaches.html

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,893 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

There is a beach trip by gator tours, but it is expensive. I would rent a car.

And please use the Orlando forum for the most replies.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

Nearest beach is Cocoa beach and approximately 1 hour away. Gulf coast nearest beaches are about 2.5 hours drive. Renting a car is the best option as shuttle services are mostly for hotels and the airports. We do not have a public bus system that runs between the areas.

Also, you say you want to see the Alligators. There is Gatorland near Orlando / Kissimmee. There are nearby airboat tours that take you out on the St. Johns river and nearby lakes to see wildlife. You may or may not see gators. If there has been a lot of rain and the water is up its harder to see them as they have more places to hide. If you are thinking of the Everglades is about 4 hours drive. There may be a bus tour that goes there, not sure about that. You may want to think about an overnight somewhere near the glades if that is where you intend to go.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

Is it possible? Yes.

You rent a car.

Cocoa Beach is a very easy drive out Highway 528. It takes about 1 hour.

Clearwater Beach, St Pete Beach, and the state parks in that area will take about two hours and involve driving through Downrtown Tampa. They are not all that hard to find either.

How much will it cost? Your car rental, $3.65 a gallon for gas, and about another $8-9 in tolls roundtrip if you go to Cocoa Beach. Some areas charge for parking, but it is fairly minimal. Take some quarters if you plan to drive to Cocoa Beach and need to use one of the lots with the coin meters.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 17:31
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,893 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

For clarity, I have driven to st pete beach in under 2 hours from the tourist area of orlando but agree that Cocoa is the closest to get to.

7. Re: Is it possible to visit a beach when staying on I Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16