We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where on Gulf to visit

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
420 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on where on Gulf to visit

Hi! My good friend is thinking of taking a four day vacation away from family and stressful job to relax by herself. Since I research vacation info a lot, she asked me to gather advice for her. I know she wants to stay on the Gulf side of the state and she will be flying in from Dallas. So, I would think somewhere not too far from an airport with beaches and some restaurants. I will presume a nice hotel maybe on the beach that is not too expensive. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where on Gulf to visit

Clearwater Beach is just a 30-35 min drive from Tampa TPA. Very walkable beach area with lots of restaurants, beach bars, and activities. No car needed once there. Pier House 60 Hotel is newer, mid-priced, and centrally located easy walk to everything. If needing airport shuttle, www.supershuttle.com is the larger shared van service in the area.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 12:40
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where on Gulf to visit

Does she want low rise low key relaxing? Or does a resort like Clearwater with larger higher places and lots of people appeal? There is a resort to fit everyone, and different ones from each airport.

I might look at flights from Dallas and see which airports have flights? I just took AA from Dallas to RSW so I know ft myers has a good route- sure Tampa will too. SRQ is the best airport from the lovely beaches near Sarasota/Bradenton such as Anna Maria, Longboat and Siesta Key.

So what type of atmosphere will she like? Big busy and buzzy or quiet with long beach walks? How far is too far from an airport? Is a spa important? Will she drive or look for a transfer?

Edited: 10 May 2014, 13:11
Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
420 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where on Gulf to visit

I asked my friend some of the questions from the last response and here is what she replied:

She does not want to stay anywhere crazy busy, but doesn't want isolated either. She is planning on renting a small car and is not interested in spas. Does that help any?

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where on Gulf to visit

Marco Island. Safe for a single traveling, beautiful, sunsets to die for, dining and accommodations for all price points. Beach is long and wide. RELAXING. There are also lovely vacation rentals on the beach. It is hard to beat Marco Island. Fly into Fort Myers (RSW).

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where on Gulf to visit

I;d say Marco, Sanibel, And the keys near Sarasota Siesta Key and Anna Maria island. All are low key and relaxing (although Marco is built up now along the beach with some high rises) but have shops, restaurants and other low key things to do and are not too quiet but not too busy either unless you go at peak season in the spring.

6. Re: Advice on where on Gulf to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17