We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques and cards

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques and cards

I am traveling to miami, Florida, niagra falls and then New York. I will be carrying some money but also thinking about travellers cheques and preloaded cards. Could anyone please explain to be what exactly these are and how they work and if there are many places in Florida that will work with these?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,938 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

The best way tot travel is, by getting some USD cash as you plan, then using creidit cards for spending and leaving deposits at hotels etc and using your debit card to withdraw more cash. T4ends to work out cheaper overall, dependng on who runs your cards.

TCs are used less and less int he usa, but are still spendable in theme parks and hotels. Some restaurants no longer take them.

Prepaid cards are OK, if you want to use one. I don't as they can be more expensive than the methods above, and if the card issuer goes bust (happened to me once) the money on your card goes with it, Others use and like them but there are costs involved, and with some you can incur charges when you use them to spend (like Debit card can) which is why CCs are better.

Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

Am here now and am using a Thomas Cook cash passport card it's run by MasterCard!! And it's great!!! I was unsure at first as I'd never used one! But I love it sooooo easy! :-)

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

I would look at the procedures if your preloaded card is used fraudulently. If you have a bank issued credit card that doesn't charge a lot of fees, I would use it first along with an ATM card for cash.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,053 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

Agree with amanx. You are taking a risk if you don't have at least one credit card as a cushion in case of emergencies.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,938 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

And some here have said the thomas cook card mentioned in post 2 was awful for them and they would never use it again.

So we ge reports both ways

Leeds, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

How about using a CC which does not have a handling charge built in?

The Post Office Credit card is one I use abroad. Saves about 2% per transaction- if I remember right.

For Debit cards, check with your bank re their local tie up to save some more expense.

7. Re: Travellers cheques and cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:17