We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

We are a family of 4. My son is fascinated with turtles and really wants to witness sea turtles hatching on the beach and their first journey to the ocean. I do understand that this can't be predicted but would like to visit a beach at a time where there is high probability to do this. Any help will be appreciated.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

Here is a link to the Sea Turtle preservation society which may help give you info on where and when.http://www.conserveturtles.org/barrierislandcenter.php

Its best if you have a couple days over here at our beaches. They hatch about every 60 days. Sea Turtles start laying eggs this month so around July and August you will see the hatchlings. The Melbourne Beach area is a good area to look as there are a lot less lights there however Satellite Beach and Indialantic also have nests so it could be anywhere along this coastal section.

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

Thanks @bornwithwheels . The website talks about viewing the turtles coming to lay eggs but doesn't say anything about being there to watch them hatch. Any more info on that ? I guess if they only let people watch them lay eggs I'll plan for that. My son really did want to see them hatch.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

And there are loads of nests on our side (the gulf ) as well. My nearest beaches are covered with nesting sites.

The best thing would be to sign up to one of the conservation groups. And you'll have a better chance if you stayed at at condo on the beach as you could go out at night as well.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,737 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

The Anne Kolb nature center in Hollywood FL used to have a program that you could view releasing relocated turtles. Google it and see

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

@amanx - When you say the gulf side do you mean Texas or some other state ?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

She means the gulf side of Florida. Which area do you plan to visit? Then we can help tell you where to go to view. There are groups in many areas that do turtle walks.

You may see turtles coming ashore to lay eggs or you may see a hatching. It just depends on being in the right place at the right time. You can go on your own but please read up on rules about this. If you bring a flashlight it should be covered with red cellophane. Do not approach a turtle coming out of the water it will scare them and they will not lay their eggs but return to the water instead. Do not walk or dig around nesting sites. Many sites are marked by flags so you know where the nests are. Most nests are along the dune line however I have seen eggs hatch in other very odd places

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
228 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

I am planning our visit around the turtles so whichever area has high probability of seeing turtles hatching is where I want to go. Yes, I'm reading about the protection laws around the turtles. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

In June 2011, we made a trip to Florida just to try to see sea turtles. We stayed in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, and had a balcony overlooking the beach. We watched every night, walking the beach and watching from the balcony. There were a couple of people laying under blankets with flashlights on the beach, presumably also hoping to see turtles.

We never saw a turtle, but many mornings we saw tracks and the Turtle Patrol would come by and check the nests. They showed us eggs. So apparently the turtles did come while we were sleeping, but you can't stay up all night.

We even did a turtle walk at a nearby state park and never saw a turtle.

It's always hit or miss when you're dealing with wildlife...usually you see things when you're not looking and least expect it (which can be either good or bad). My cousin saw a giant turtle when he was jogging in the dark on the beach at Indialantic.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 18:30
9. Re: Need help - Want to visit a beach to watch sea turtles hatch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:25