We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida first timers

Cumbria, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Florida first timers

Hi, new to this site, we've always looked at reviews etc but never contributed so I thought I'd make an account, ask a few questions (sorry if they've been covered hundreds of times before) and put a few reviews up when we return.

An overview of our holiday is as follows:

Land at orlando international.

Pick a car up from Alamo for three weeks.

Spend two weeks in the DoubleTree at the entrance to universal.

We have tickets for all the parks etc. so will be spending these two weeks visiting those.

Our final week we will be heading over to Clearwater and staying in the Hyatt Regency to relax a bit.

So a couple of questions if you don't mind, I know they get asked all the time but having never been I don't know where things are/what is close.

DRIVING

I've never rented a car before, has anyone had any experience with Alamo/got any generic tips?

I have put USA maps on my TomTom so I should be good for the directions side of things.

I've read a driving tips thread so I am happy as I can be about driving.

FOOD AND DRINK - Orlando

I believe the Doubletree is at the top of Int Drive so was wondering what the best bars/restaurants are up that end, is it possible to get far in a 20min walk?

Clearwater

As far as I'm aware it's all fairly close together in clearwater so nothing is out of walking distance, has anyone any recommendations for food/drink here?

We aren't fussy with food so fire away with everything/anything please.

I was looking at budgeting around $100 a day p/p for food, so far I've read that will be more than enough.

We are both 21 if that helps any?

Again, sorry for asking questions which get asked all the time but I am unsure where things are in relation to our hotels.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated (even things I haven't asked for), thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Marc

manchester
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida first timers

Hi if you sign up to Alamo insiders you can check in for your car rental before you leave and save having to stand for hours in the rental line at the airport, you can just go to the parking garage and pick up your car. We did this last year and it saved a lot of time.

Cumbria, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida first timers

Will have to look into that! Thanks

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida first timers

Where are you planning on taking the car?

They will likely try to sell you the Sunpass option for the toll roads. You can pay cash for tolls in Orlando, and there are none going to Clearwater Beach. If you are going to use the toll roads a lot, the Sunpass does make things very convenient. If not, decline the option.

www.sunpass.com

If it is the hotel directly across the street from the entrance, the Doubletree is on Kirkman Rd and Major Blvd. It is not on I Drive.

Kirkman Road is a VERY busy, multi-lane road. There is a crosswalk going over to Universal, but Citywalk is going to take a bit to travel on foot. There is an Ale House and a TGI Fridays close to the hotel.

There are several other restaurants close by, but not really walkable.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 12:48
Cumbria, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida first timers

Thanks! We will be going to the Space Centre, all the parks and water parks and then driving to malls etc. I guess taxis are very easy to get hold of if we were wanting to have a walk down I Drive?

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida first timers

Yes, they are.

There are 4 toll plazas each way to the Space Center and two each way to the airport (same road). If the car company doesn't charge you a bunch for the Sunpass, look into it. It will save you some time going through the toll plazas at full speed.

6. Re: Florida first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16