We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to Florida road trip

Atlanta
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta to Florida road trip

Hi, planning a road trip from Atlanta to Florida for 5 to 6 nights with husband and 21 year old son. We wanted to go to key west, and Miami. But, along the way we wanted to visit couple of more cities on east/west coast. We have never been to west coast. Hence all suggestions are welcome in places to visit, stay, etc. etc.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Florida
Florida
United States
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta to Florida road trip

From Atlanta take 75 all the way to Miami

Returning home up 95

cities along the gulf coast

Clearwater, Sarasota Estero and Naples

check out Estero for shopping

on the trail (US 41) Coconut Point Mall

and along Corkscrew Road, Miromar Outlets.

Use Google MAPS to see the route and use features

"Search-Nearby" to locate restaurants, hotels

"Street - View" to see what it looks like

enjoy.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 01:32
Mentioned in this post
Coconut Point Mall
Coconut Point Mall
343 Reviews
Estero, FL
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Estero
Estero
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,630 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta to Florida road trip

From Atlanta its a 13 hour drive. Pick a city on the east coast you want to visit and do an overnight. If it were me I would do as rick suggested and head straight down I-75 to either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami (South Beach) and spend a night there. Then you will be fresh for the drive thru the keys, there are many stops you can make on the way to Key West. You need at least 4 days in the Florida keys to make the trip worth while. 2 in Key West and 2 in the middle or upper keys. Check out the Florida Keys forums for itineraries for the trip down.

Read up on the Miami forum about cashless electronic (unmanned) tolls. You have to have a Sunpass. You can pick up a mini transponder anywhere in Florida before you get to the Miami area. They have them at Publix, Walgreens and I think also some convenience stores have them. From Miami the quickest and less stressful route is to take the turnpike till it ends in Florida City. That road will then take you to the keys.

After the keys pick a couple of places on the gulf side. Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, Sanibel Island and Clearwater are all great places to choose from. Decide if you want more time there (best beaches as the keys don't have great beaches). Or do you want to see some of old Florida. Look at Tarpon Springs, Weeki Wachi, Homosassa and Crystal River.

You would not be driving up I-95 on the return trip if you want the gulf coast.

When do you plan to visit? There are some dates that are very crowded in the keys. Labor Day and end of October for Fantasy Fest are 2 very busy times there.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,096 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Fantasy Fest
Fantasy Fest
53 Reviews
Key West, FL
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Homosassa
Homosassa
Florida
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,358 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta to Florida road trip

IMHO you are maybe trying to go too far for a 5 to 6 night holiday. Even from Miami it is a 3.5 to 4 hr drive down to Key West and once down there, I would spend at least 2 days there. It will then be time to drive back to Atlanta so at the most, you would have one night, maybe two, to spend on the Gulf Coast?

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
4. Re: Atlanta to Florida road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:16