We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go from Atlanta

Manitoba
10 posts
Save Topic
Where to go from Atlanta

We are staying in Atlanta for a week in March. We have Friday and Saturday to do some travelling outside the city before we catch an early morning plane on Sunday. Given the time- where do you recommend we go and where should we stay (historic inns would be prefered). We'd like to keep within 2 hours of Atlanta. Thanks for your help.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

If you could stretch that 2 hr., the best place for

you to visit would be Savannah. Look at Google Images

& you will be amazed: historic homes, buildings,

the squares, fountains, river front shops, restaurants!

www.savannahvisit.com - this will give you lots of

information.

The Historic District of Savannah is amazing.

You will limit yourself if you stick to the 2 hr.

from Atlanta. I hope you have a great trip!

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

If it's late March a trip to the mountains would be an hour or so drive. Lot's of good locations for whatever; hiking, waterfalls, panning for gold, historic areas, some decent dining, etc. Be aware that Helen is basically a tourist trap but there are some great parks and trails in the area.

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

When in March will it be? I would second the suggestion for Savannah. But if you're looking at March 15-16, that is NOT the time to visit for a relaxing, historic tour. They have a major St. Pat's celebration and it is sure to be going on that whole weekend--I assume most hotels are booked already.

If those are not your dates, I recommend Savannah. It's about 5 hours from Atlanta (depending on where exactly you're coming from).

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

I notice your flight is early on Sunday--you could drive to Savannah Thursday night or Friday morning, then drive back to the Atlanta airport Saturday night to stay overnight in an airport hotel before departing.

Manitoba
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

We are going to be in Atlanta from March 3-7- and we fly out at 6:00 am on the 9th. Approx. how many hours is Savannah from Atlanta?

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

From Airport to Savannah at least 5 to 6 hours. If you are leaving ATL downtown on Thurs evening, may take a bit longer due to commutes.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

It's never taken me longer than four hours from north of Atlanta to Savannah, avoiding rush hour(s) of course. I've known people who have made it in closer to three hours, but I wouldn't recommend driving those speeds.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

OK, I was pretty much guessing. We live 70 miles south. Mapquest has it at 250 miles ATL to Savannah with 4 hour estimate. Around 75 mph is common on I-16.

Always seems to take longer when we go.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

I live in midtown and the drive for me to Savannah is only 3.5 hours, but I do speed. You could make it from Savannah to the airport in 3.5-4 hours easily, as the airport is closer to Savannah than the rest of Atlanta. No way it will take 5-6 hours.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go from Atlanta

I guess I don't pay enough attention when we go. Of course we leave from about 60 miles south of airport. I think it takes us around 3 hours.