We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a cool place to visit in August?

5 posts
Save Topic
Is there a cool place to visit in August?

I know this is an insane question! But, I'll give it a try. My husband's & my anniversary is in August - the first week. We would like to go somewhere within 5 hours of driving - from Atlanta. However, the catch is we really would like some place cool (during the day high 80's maybe). We went to Gaitlinburg, TN last year thinking it was in the mountains and it would be cool. No, it was as hot as you know what! Anyway, I thought I would give it a shot so does anyone have any suggestions?

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

During August...boy thats a good one. Well, the high in elevation one goes, USUALLY the cooler it gets. With that in mind, here is my list. North Ga mountains around some of the many waterfall, where I like to go whenever I can. Highland-Bevard NC area, once again near the MANY waterfalls (guess you can tell what we like) both of these are only a few hours away. Next would be somewhere around Boone NC area. Lots of stuff in the area. Next, try a raft trip down the Pigeon river, nice and cool there, just off I-40 in Tn just before you get to NC. What about doing a COOL thing like a massage and a soak in a hot tub in Hot Spring NC. Set right next to the French Broad river. May want to try rafting down the Broad before or after the hot tub. My vote would be AFTER, water can be cold. If you do the hot tub/massage make sure you have reservation. Do a search for Hot spring NC and you will see their site. Lastly what about getting on the Blue Ridge parkway and just go NORTH until you get tired and pull offf somewhere nice and spend some quite time with hubby.... have fun!!!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

We spent a week in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg last August. It was in the mid-90's all week. We left there for a few days in Maggie Valley, NC. It was 10° - 12° cooler there, probably due to the higher elevation.

Gatlinburg is around 1200 ft, and Maggie Valley is around 3000 ft.

As the previous poster said, generally, the higher you go, the cooler it'll be.

Have a great trip!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

The extreme NE Georgia mountains motto is "where spring spends the summer". It is usually 10 degrees cooler than we are here in the metro ATL, the elevations are as high as 4000'. I would look at the Clayton, GA area- it has Lakes Burton and Rabun, Tallulah & Chattooga Rivers and many waterfalls.

Try the Rabun Co Chamber of Commerce website for ideas: www.gamountains.com

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

Have you ever been on the Blue Ridge Parkway?

It runs from Cherokee, NC up into Virginia. You can

get on and off at many locations along the route.

Every time we have been on it in the summer, no

matter what month, we turn off the AC and roll down

the windows to get that cool mountain air!

It may be a bit farther than you want to drive but

it's worth it - the scenery is breath-taking!

There are some nice lodges and cabins on the parkway

or you can exit the parkway near a town and go to

a hotel for the night and then get back on the next

day. Do a little research:

www.blueridgeparkway.org

Wherever you go, I hope you have a great and 'cool'

trip! I'm not a fan of hot weather myself. We're

going to Alaska in Aug.!

Good luck!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

This past thread of more than 12 pages may be helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28931-i103-k41086…

Fort myers, FL
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

Maybe you should try Sautee Nacoochee, GA. It is only a 1 1/2 hour drive into the Georgia Mountains and they have lots of waterfalls, state parks, places to eat and shops in Helen. Try renting a cabin through Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals. We own two cabins, the American Dream and the Wildwood, and we think that they do a very good job of maintaining them. You can view the cabins at www.cabinsga.com as well as things to do in the mountains. You can check weather.com for the forecast during the time you want to visit. That will give you the average temperatures.

Good luck...

7. Re: Is there a cool place to visit in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 17:19