We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

I usually make an annual pilgrimage to Huntsville AL to purchase "Kitchen Sink Sub Sandwiches" for the whole family from Stanlieo's Sub shop. It is hands- down, the greatest sub sandwich on the face of the earth, in my family's humble opinion. But with gas prices remaining high, we havent been able to make the trip the last several years, and I truly miss this treat. So it led me to the obvious question: If gas prices dropped dramatically tomorrow, or you won the lottery, and you were willing/able to drive 3-5 hours from your home, just to eat your favorite meal, which restaurant would you drive to (list name address or city/state) and what entree would you order ? It may give all of us some ideas for new restaurants to try when we travel.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

OH,by the way: if the food is that good, it might be a nice idea to copy and paste your response on that city's forum page to give that restaurant a nice compliment.

Madison
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

Unfortunately for me, my sojourns to my favourite restaurant in Georgia are all but a faded memory, but I did know that I ate all the menu, obviously not at one sitting.

Ou La La, is located at 111 Main Street LaGrange, GA

For further afield, I would also recommend The English Rose Tea Room at 1401 Market Street Chattanooga.

I loved their Cornish Pasties, and heartily recommend The Sherry Trifle.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

thank you , that is two that i have never heard of, and we tend to travel through, to, or near those cities frequently. Where is everyone else on this subject, i know youall have to have some outside of GA favorites.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

When we go visit family in Richmond,Va.,I will often make a side trip to the Virginia Diner in Wakefield. It has great spoonbread,fried chicken,biscuits etc. (it's also been on diners,drive ins & dives on Food Network).Excellent!

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

Since I just got off my soapbox about Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge, how could you go through life without having a corndog at Fannie Farkels, breakfast at the open pantry, or some fudge at the smoky mtn fudge shop ?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

????????

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

the sweet tea at carey hilliards in savannah might not be worth a 5 hour drive to most folks, but once you add some bbq and seafood and wash that down with that nectar of the gods tea, i'd do it in a heartbeat. in factt i'm getting in the car now....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

We drive a couple of hours at least once a month to go to the Bulloch House in Warm Springs, Ga. for their southern buffet. We also drive a couple of hours every 2 months to Anniston, Al. for catfish, greens and cornbread at Top O'the River. I would love to be able to drive 20+ hours to West Yellowstone, Mt. for the best pancakes in the world at the Running Bear Pancake House.(actually wouldn't drive but would fly- can't wait to go back again!)

Madison
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

Can I second the Bulloch House at Warm Springs GA?

I also heartily recommend it.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I would drive 5 hours just to taste that food again .....

never had bulloch -- is it like smith house or blue willow ?