We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

la spezia
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Hi all,

my husband and I are planning a trip to usa for our fifth anniversary of marriage. We would like to visit the southern states by car, including Savannah. Is it worth a visit? Can you suggest us other cities to include in our itinerary? Thank you so much!

Chicca, Italy

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Savannah and Charleston, SC will give you a real feel for southern charm. You could also see a bit of the beautiful mountains by going up to Asheville, NC. When do you plan to come and how long do you plan to stay? Enjoy your trip planning.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

We have so much to see and do in Georgia! You will be visiting the best of the southern states and full of southern hospitality....You will of course need to visit Atlanta! Newnan is known as "The City of Homes" - Jonesboro has "The Gone With The Wind Museum". Take a look at Madison another southern treasure - beautiful homes and great shopping..... also Macon - the "Song and Soul of the South" - Dahlonega "a beautiful view of our Georgia mountains - St. Mary's and Cumberland Island (a National seashore) and of course in answer to your questions - Savannah is a must take their tours and stay in the Riverstreet area. Take a look at each of these when you plan your travel by car route around our state....and as you can see - plenty to see and do....you'll not have to leave the state!!!! ENJOY your visit to the South!!!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Definitely visit Savannah & Charleston. I'd recommend a couple of days in Atlanta if you have time, but would recommend Savannah & Charleston over Atlanta if you're short on time. New Orleans is wonderful also, but would be a long drive and you wouldn't pass very much of interest along the way.

la spezia
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Thank you! We do not know yet when we will leave (maybe in December 2009 or May 2010). How is the weather like in those periods?

Can you suggest us other cities to visit or do you think that all you suggested is enough to taste the southern atmosphere?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

I think the weather in May would be perfect.

la spezia
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

My top three cities to visit on a trip to the south would be Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans. Between Charleston and Savannah you'll get a feel for the south (or at least for the best side of the south) and in New Orleans you can see a culture completely unique to that city. (I have a good Bed & Breakfast recommendation for you if you do decide on New Orleans - Maisson Perrier).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

If you like history or music then there are some other suggestions such as Memphis or Nashville. Lots of Civil War sites and US Presidents homes/museums in Warm Springs, Ga and Jimmy Carter's in Plains and Atlanta.

la spezia
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Thank you all, it's very kind of you. Maybe i'm too influenced by movies, but i adore "the long, hot summer" and "cat on a hot tin roof". That's the reason why i would like to see the south. I know that they take place like in the 50's or 60's but, what can i do, every time they're on tv, i watch them!

Chicca

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to usa: is it worth visiting savannah?

Some of the best southern mansions like the ones in the movies can be found in Natchez, Mississippi.