We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island

oshkosh
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Tybee Island

I have never been to Tybee Island and was wondering if the swimming is good there. What part of the island has the best beaches? Are there any places to get a scenic cruise tour on the water? Are there enough things for very young children to do for a week? What are the temps (water/air) like in September and October?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee Island

Tybee is small, very laid back with basically one long beach. You can easily access the beach from the center of the island where there is a great pavilion the kids will love to walk on and watch the birds, fishermen, etc. If you're staying at one of the condos or hotel/motels on the beach, you'll be right there anyway. There really aren't sections of beach. I think they have a bit of a strong current but I'm not a swimmer and am sure someone else will tell you that if there is. I have never seen any tour things around but keep in mind that this is a small island, basically one main street then a ton of small residential side streets. Doesn't strike me as a tour kind of location unless you do one of the kayak tours. But on River Street in the downtown Historic District, there is a river boat tour, nothing special, only goes up and down the river by a bunch of industrial sites but its ok.

Things for young kids? Digging in the sand, watching the birds, going to the tiny little children's science museum next to the Pavilion, and if you're there in mid October, there is a weekend long Pirate festival geared towards families that they might get a kick out of. Again, its a low-key island, not tons of stuff going on. Rent bikes maybe and peddle around, right on the beach if you like. Locals can tell you better about the temps. We've only been down once in October and it poured rain and was about 60 degrees the whole time.

oshkosh
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee Island

Thanks for the info!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tybee Island

The above is all true. September and Oct. the temperatures will still be good as will the water temperatures. The crowds will have gotten smaller but the weekends will be busy. Tybee's beaches are shallow and the kids will like it. Now a few things to keep in mind. September and Oct. is in hurricane season so if a storm is around it could damping your visit. You never know. Also depending on the moon phase, weatehr etc there could be some rip currents. If there are rip currents please be careful. Rip currents can happen at any beach. Also on the south end of the island at low tide there is a large sand bar which is exposed. It is very inviting to walk out on and I do it all the time but keep in mind we have 2 high and 2 low tides a day. There will be a 6 to 9 foot height change from high to low. So there is a lot of water moving through this area to the back river. Every year there are people getting caught on this point and needing help. There is usually a drowning in this area every year. So if you go out on this sand bar watch the tide.

I am not trying to scare you away from Tybee but just wanting you to have fun and be safe. I think you will really enjoy the area. If you have any questions please post and I will try to help. I do not know a lot about the hotels, etc because I am close enough to go home at night.

John

oshkosh
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tybee Island

Thanks, John. Have you had any hurricanes in that area in the past few years during Sept./October?

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tybee Island

In the past few years we have not had any huricanes or tropical storms in the area. There has been some that have gone up the coast in the ocean. They usually cause the surf to be rough but all the surfers show up and love it. I have lived here all my life and in 47 years I can only recall one huricane that hit us. That was labor day in 1979. In 98 or 99 we had what was suppose to be a bad one coming in but thank god it went on up the coast. We have had some tropical storms to pass us but nothing major. If you look at a map of the east coast you will see that Tybee and Savannah sits inward more than any other place. This puts us farther from the gulfstream and the storms seem to follow the gulfstream.

I would not really worry about the hurricanes and book for Sept. / Oct. It is nice that time of year. Living in this area we which the weather and listen to the weather people tell us how many storms there will be. They are usually wrong.

John

6. Re: Tybee Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 07:16