We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Stone Mountain

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Topic
Relocating to Stone Mountain

We are relocating to Atlanta and are looking to buy in Stone Mountain. Is this a nice area or are there other areas close by that may be nicer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Stone Mountain

Well, your question is a rather broad one. A lot depends on several factors. Do you have school-age children? What kind of home/acreage do you want? How much do you want to spend on a house? Do you like going downtown for events or do you like being in the suburbs?

The most important question beyond these is where do you plan to work? Arranging your commute is probably the key things in choosing where to live in Atlanta. Traffic can really be bad. You're from LA so I'm sure you know all about that.

I don't know much about Stone Mountain as I've never lived in that area. From what I've heard, I think housing prices are pretty reasonable.

I do have a friend who lives in Stone Mountain and commutes to downtown. It takes her about 50 minutes each way. Some days, it takes longer if there's an accident.

Snellville, GA
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Stone Mountain

The other poster is correct, alot factors should be determined before you can say St.MTN is a good place to stay. I am from Snellville which is located right down the street in Gwinnett Cty. Personally, I think Gwinnett offers a much stronger school system than Dekalb Cty(just my opinion & test scores). Some parts of Stone Mountain are in Gwinnett so it all depends on your address. Stone Mountain has some nice homes one neighborhood in particular is called South Land. But then again it depends on how much you are able to afford. Overall housing in this region tends to be very favorable as compared to other states. GoodLuck!! Hey, my house is forsale!! My husband's job is relocating to Charlotte in January. Goodluck!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Stone Mountain

The best advise I can give you on moving to Atlanta is live close to where you work. The traffic is just as bad here as it is in LA, so you know about that.

Housing in Stone Mountain is very affordable. In fact, a friend of mine lives there and her property tax valuation went down last year! Unheard of in Atlanta. There has been alot of mortgage fraud in some parts of Stone Mountain, which has really hurt the areas it has occurred. There has been a good bit of publicity about it lately as there is alot of people working to get that under control. Hopefully they have.

Good luck!!!

Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to Stone Mountain

There are some bad areas and good areas. Smokerise is a very upscale area with large lots and homes. Stone Mountain Village has many adorable homes within walking distance of shops and restaurants (I used to live one block off Main St.), but the south side of Stone Mountain, as well as the West side, I would avoid.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to Stone Mountain

If I had a farm in Stone Mountain and a home in Hades I'd sell the farm and move home.