We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta vs. Savannah

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta vs. Savannah

My boyfriend and I are students and want to spend 2 days in either Atlanta or Savannah, Georgia to get a taste of the true South. Which has more historically or generally interesting things to do and see? Which do people prefer? We'd be going this July hopefully as part of a tour of the East Coast.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

If you want to experience Southern, there's no comparison. Atlanta is a large urban area. Savannah is a much smaller, walkable town, and has a much older history. There are "Southern" places in Atlanta, but lots of other stuff in between. You might also want to include Charleston in your considerations.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

Savannah would be my choice.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

I agree with Stevedec - in addition to Savannah, consider Charleston, South Carolina. Both are lovely, and they're only about 2 hours apart. You probably could do both if your itinerary allows for an extra travel day.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

I agree with the folks above, though I think the term "true south" is oversimplified. If you're expecting Steel Magnolias, Gone with the Wind, Tennessee Williams or even In the Heat of the Night, those are all romanticized versions the region. Savannah and Charleston are the two cities that reflect the most history in their architecture, but as colonial cities they are entirely distinct from anything you would see inland.

New Orleans also has a remarkable history and is a fascinating city to visit, but it is also distinguished by its French influences.

Atlanta is a very large city similar to many other large cities. It has some very charming areas together with the skyscrapers, but, of course, had to be entirely rebuilt after being burned in the Civil War. The historical sites here are mainly battlefields, graveyards or sites that gained significance after the war.

Small towns like Covington, Madison and Washington are charming as well, but not really indicative of the typical small southern town.

The short answer is that I don't think there is any one "true south" but I think that if you're looking for charm and history, Savannah is your best bet.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

One of the best trips in America is visiting Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. There are some great places to visit on the E Coast close to both cities. Myrtle Beach, SC, the islands near Charleston, Beaufort, SC, Tybee Island, GA, St. Simons Island, GA are all great places to visit for a few days in that area. Enjoy your trip.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

"A taste of the true south?" What is that? What do you think that is?

Both Atlanta and Savannah have a lot of historical "old south" things to see. The historic district of Savannah is small and very walkable. A small walkable place to stay in Atlanta would be the small town of Decatur, which is in the midst of Atlanta. You can stay there, walk around the town and eat and shop, and/or take MARTA into Atlanta itself for more attractions. If you want to see both Atlanta and Savannah as part of a larger tour, you could include both - but 2 days wouldn't be enough for both. The small town of Madison would be a great place to stop and stretch your legs, but I don't think you want to spend 2 days there. If you DO want that kind of place, we can suggest places to walk, ride horses, etc. - but it depends on your interests.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

Thanks everyone for your help. We've decided to go to Savannah now. :)

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

Depending on your interests I would choose the one you would enjoy most. Savannah has more of a historical aspect, while Atlanta is more modern and for younger people if you like tall buildings. I recently went to Atlanta and all that I can tell is there is: The Georgia Aquarium, The Fox Theater(not quite sure what will be there... unusual for me), Centennial Park, Phillips Arena, the Georgia Dome, Atlantic Station is really cool. I do know more about Atl., but Savannah would be a better choice if you like history.

Yangzhou, China
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

I agree with ElphabaThropp1314. Actually i don't think you can feel the true south in only one city tho.

10. Re: Atlanta vs. Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 May 2012, 17:35