We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

Any input??

Have one night late December to stay and can't decide between the 2 places.

So clarkeville, or dahlenega???

Sorry for spelling errors, exhausted

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

Where are you coming from/going to? One might be easier to get in and out of than the other.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,447 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

I agree, where are you coming from and what do you want to do when you get there? Eat and sleep? Take a hike? Shop? Wander a small downtown? Sightsee? Personally, I'd drive on up to Clayton (north of Clarkesville) and shop a little in town, eat at one of several good restaurants, take a walk along the rim of Tallulah Gorge or around Black Rock lake and drive up to the top of Black Rock Mtn State Park and ooh and ahh at the views. One great thing about Clayton is that is is 4 lane to and from there and not windy mountain roads. If you don't mind windy mountain roads, drive south from there on 197 toward Clarksville and stop at the Mark of the Potter and check out the pottery and feed the giant trout in the river. Dahlonega is lovely too. None are bad choices, it just depends on personal preferences - and what you want to do. There are wineries to choose from in the area too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

I agree with onemoreroad. The area around Clayton and Dillard is really nice. And if you are really hungry you can't beat the Dillard House for lunch or dinner.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

I like dahlonega. Closer to Atlanta too. Nice scenic drive ill gold mine etc. Clayton is nice too but it would involve more driving for a one night deal. Depends on where your going/coming from

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

Ooops, like I said.... exhausted.

Would have helped to tell you all where I was coming from.

So we are staying in Ashville, NC over Christmas with relatives.

Then staying in Lookout Mountain, Georgia over New Years with relatives.

But we have one day in between relatives that we need to overnight.

So we will have almost a full day, then a night and then another full day to wander about.

So I had been looking at places in Northern Georgia within a couple of hours of both places I mentioned.

Clarkesville and Dahlonega both looked like interesting places.

I will go look at Clayton and Dillard now too.

Driving around will be good if the weather isn't too bad.

No hiking, mobility limited.

Shopping or wandering about a small town with history is always a good pick for us.

Thanks for all the help and any additional you might add now.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

If you're near rchard Russell pkwy. It's the prettiest drive near dahlonega USO during leak season

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

He means LEAF season (I think).

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

If you're near rchard Russell pkwy. It's the prettiest drive near dahlonega USO during leaf season

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,447 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

Well, if you are coming from Asheville, Clayton and Dillard are on the way south. You'd be there in less than 2 hours. You could do some sight-seeing there and be in Dahlonega in another hour. Chattanooga is another 2 hour drive. You could spend the night at either place. No matter, there's plenty of time to explore.

10. Re: clarkeville or dahlenega, one night late december???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:17