We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Hi all.

in Florida forum I posted the a road trip plan. I will be going at the beginning November this year to Miami. After a couple of days shopping I will be going on a road trip:

FROM MIAMI INT AIRPORT (I will be in 4 nights in Miami already before I leave)

DAY 5 Gainesville, FL, United States DRIVE - 332 Miles / 4:49 hours

DAY 6 Savannah, GA, United States DRIVE - 208 Miles / 3:13 hours

DAY 7 Savannah, GA, United States DO SOMETHING

DAY 8 St. Augustine, FL, United States DRIVE - 181 Miles / 2:44 hours

DAY 10 St. Augustine, FL, United States DO SOMETHING

DAY 11 Orlando, FL, United States DRIVE - 107 Miles / 1:42 hours

DAY 12 Orlando, FL, United States DO SOMETHING

DAY 13 Miami International Airport, Miami, FL, United States DRIVE - 238 Miles / 3:24 hours

DAY 14 I will be leaving US again.

It sounds like a plan indeed, but I am very much in doubt about Savannah. I am thinking about going to Columbus instead to visit the "National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center" and do some horse trail riding. Disadvantage of going to Columbus is driving more. Few things I know for sure. I will go to Gainesville, St. Augustine and Orlando. Still debating in picking Columbus or Savannah. Driving from Gainesville to Columbus is 277 miles and to Savannah 207 miles. This is a 70 miles difference that will not kill me. However the drive to St. Augustine is a bit bigger. From Columbus to St. Augustine is 331 miles and From Savannah to St. Augustine 181 miles. This is 150 miles difference. It does not seem impossible but a little bit more tiring though. I think Savannah is more about history of a city with nice places to walk and eat. More touristic compared to Columbus GA. Columbus is seems to be more about nature and the city Atlanta is not to far away 2.

What would you recommend me. I really wanna do some horseback riding on a trail. There are some spots in Florida also but I like the difference in nature going up. Any recommendations would be well appreciated.

Thank you all!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Personally, I wouldn't add in the drive to Columbus. I don't think of that area very picturesque. Consider doing your horseback riding on the beach on Jekyll Island instead.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

There's no reason other than the one you cite to go to Columbus. Savannah has much more to offer.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Ok Columbus is not recommended unless you really want to go to the museum. Any other locations in Georgia or is Savannah the best option that is not too far away from Florida.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Go to Savannah.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Ok you all convinced me Savannah is the better choice very clearly. Thank you for this. Any tips on a cheap hotel in that area? Do not want to spend too much money on hotels because most of the time I will be sleeping there. I don't know yet what I am going to do in Savannah though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Is there a particular reason you want to go to Gainesville? As cities in Florida go, it's not the most appealing.

I agree with all of the others who warned you of Columbus. I think you'd be very disappointed if you missed Savannah for that.

Did you choose Orlando for the theme parks?

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

JAtlanta thank you for input so far.

You are correct to question why I want to go to Gainesville. I was also still in doubt. I thought it might be a bit boring to drive the same route up and back again. I come from a island, so seeing see is not high on my priority list. Thought perhaps it would be something different. Do you have a better suggestion?

Orlando I picked because most of activities or things to do are in that area. I could even drive with my car to other locations around it. Don't know yet if I am going to Theme Park though. But I am thinking about doing it.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Try looking at St Augustine, Florida as a stopover destination. Far more interesting and historic than Gainesville.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

Hey Stevedec thank you for your input however I am already staying in St. Augustine on my way back as you can see in my first post. You are correct to state it is a good location to go also, so that's why I also picked it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roadtrip Columbus/Atlanta vs Savannah

I don't see any harm in driving some of the same route up and back. Driving Rt 95 is more a function of getting from point A to B making the best time while you are driving. You can make it different in your choices of where to visit.

St Augustine is a good choice. What about Cape Canaveral and the Space Center??? Somewhere in that area you can visit a State park and see some manatees. Maybe a visit to the Okefenokee swamp? You might be able to get a cabin at the Steven Foster St Park in GA. Jekyll Island is very interesting or maybe you'd like Cumberland Island?

Lots of choices, just comes down to what you like to do and how far you want to travel. Just go to googlemaps and scan up and down between Miami and Savannah.