We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

We are a retired couple going On the Road Again from San Diego to New York and back next fall.. We've never been to the deep south and would like your opinion on the best places to visit in Georgia, Trying to decide between Savannah, Augusta, Madison, and Atlanta. We love history, and quaint places. Any ideas? We would also welcome any recommendations on RV parks with hook ups. We will be traveling in our small Aliner.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Madison is doable from Atlanta and Savannah would be my pick over Augusta (nothing there but Golf). Check out the ga state park websites as another alternative to RV parks http://gastateparks.org/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,072 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

I would do Savannah and then come up to Augusta and out I 20 by Madison and on to Atlanta. That way you get to see it all.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Savannah,a stop in Beaufort SC and then Charleston. Madison is a nice little well preserved town an hour from Atlanta. Lots to see in Atlanta, but not the "Old South".

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

I would travel from Atlanta to Savannah, stopping for a short visit to Madison along the way.

If you want to see the Old South in Atlanta, then visit the Atlanta History Center with the Swan House and the Smith Family Farm -

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/

Visit the Smith Family Farm to encounter a Piedmont Georgia farm facing the challenges of the Civil War home front. As you explore the farm site, you may participate in the daily tasks or past times, and will meet characters portraying the family, neighbors, enslaved workers, and friends.

The Smith Family Farm includes the Tullie Smith House, a plantation-plain house built in the 1840s by the Robert Smith family. Originally located east of Atlanta, outside the city limits, the house survived the destruction in and around Atlanta during the Civil War. The house and detached kitchen were moved to the Atlanta History Center in the early 1970s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The house and separate open-hearth kitchen are now surrounded by a dairy, blacksmith shop, smokehouse, double corncrib, slave cabin, and barn, as well as traditional vegetable, herb, field, flower, and slave gardens.

Docents are available to share the history of the Smith family, the farm house, and outbuildings.

- See more at: http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/cms/Smith+Family+Farm/117.html#sthash.vSk7pL0J.dpuf

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Madison is often listed as one of the most beautiful towns in the US. It has a large number of antebellum homes that were spared during Sherman's March to the Sea. It's just off I-20 and is an easy stop to drive around, look at the lovely homes and maybe shop for an hour or so.

www.madisonga.org/index.php…

On the way out of Atlanta on I20, you may like stopping at Covington GA with more antebellum homes, including Twelve Oaks that inspired Twelve Oaks in Gone with the Wind. Lots of TV shows and movies were filmed there, including the pilot and first episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard, In the Heat of the Night and now Vampire Diaries. The courthouse square may look familiar because you've seen it often in movies, etc.

A little further down the road is Social Circle and if you want a buffet of southern cooking, the Blue Willow Inn is the place to stop. You can drive from Covington to Madison on Hwy 278, which parallels 20 for the entire route - crossing over at Rutledge which has a nice little restaurant - Yesterday's Café.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

From Madison, drive south on 441 toward Dublin GA and pick up I 16 there to Savannah. It's a nice drive on limited four lane highway (with only a few stop lights). It's an easy drive. If you are familiar with the Brer Rabbit books, you may be interested in stopping at Eatonton for the small museum -

http://www.uncleremusmuseum.org/visit

For those who remember the Brer Rabbit statues that used to be at Lenox Square when it was an open air shopping center, the statues are now outside the library in Madison.

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Any ideas of what to do in Savannah or Madison?

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Awesome! This is just the kind of thing we love. Thanks for the input.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Aside from the "which city" question, you may want to ask yourselves whether you prefer a coastal route up the east coast or a more inland route. Personally, I much prefer an inland route that goes up the the spine of the Appalachian Mountains. Probably lots of options is north Georgia, but you might consider a stop at Amicalola Falls State Park (or one of several others) where they have RV hookups. Going up the mountain route, I'd certainly plan to visit the Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park, Asdhville/The Biltmore Estate, potions of the Blue Ridge Parkway, Montecello, Gettysburg and other Civil War sites.

Perhaps, a coastal route in one direction and a more inland in the other. Of course, other than Amicalola Falls, none of these are in GA.

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best 2 citties to visit, best to sights to see in Georgia US

Thanks, I've never heard of Beaufort.