We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Swamp

Somerset
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Which Swamp

We are doing a tour of Georgia in early September - looking for something a little different to do on the way back from Savannah to Atlanta. Can anyone recommend Great Okenfenokee Swamp or is Phinizy Swamp Nature Park better ? If the weather is bad is there much to see in Macon ?

California
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Swamp

I would also like to know about swamps in and around Savannah and up to Charleston, SC

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Swamp

The Oke -

http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
860 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Swamp

This may be the Georgia forum and I may be a Georgian but I can't really comment on our swamps. I went to Okefenokee (or as my auto-correct apparently likes to call it, "zone genome") when I was 10 but I only remember it being June and sweltering and a mosquito landing on my arm the size of my head - I think I blocked out the rest after that.

In SC, I recently visited Congaree National Park (about 2 hours east of Charleston, near Columbia) and Cypress Gardens (about an hour north of Charleston). I can recommend both - Congaree is technically not a "swamp" as it dries up in winter but it's free and scenic. Cypress Gardens has a fee and a tourist trap feel to it, but it has lovely swamps and even better admission covers you to take a self-guided paddle through the swamp on one of their canoes.

There's a few other swamps a little closer to Charleston, but these were the big ones I wanted to see and I wasn't disappointed.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Swamp

If you want something a little different, I highly recommend a trip on the Lady Jane. She's a shrimp boat and it's a lovely ride through the marshes and they drop the nets and bring in a catch. They open the nets onto stainless tables and show you all sorts of marine life that was caught in the net. Kids (and adults) can hold all sorts of cool things - before everything is returned to the water. Dolphins swim alongside. You're in protected waters (not turbulent) as you ride out of Brunswick towards Jekyll Island and St. Simons. It's a lovely way to get on the water and enjoy the marshes of Glynn. I like it ever so much more than the swamp. :-)

http://shrimpcruise.com/

5. Re: Which Swamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:16