We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volcano tour departing from Oahu or Maui

on the lake...
Level Contributor
565 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
volcano tour departing from Oahu or Maui

Hello! We'll be staying on Oahu for 4 nights and Maui for 4 nights. I'm looking for the best way to get to the Big Island to see the volcanoes.

I've looked into taking a 7am one-way from Honolulu to Hilo on Island Air, then doing a Heli tour with either Paradise, Blue Hawaiian or Tropical. We'd rent a car for the remainder of the day and catch a 6pm one-way from Hilo to Maui. This plan is costing us an extra $263 for the Island Air flights plus the touring itself. It this a realistic plan? I realize weather can throw a wrench in things, especially since we really only have this one day to do the tour.

Are there any good options for a volcano/heli tours departing from Oahu or Maui? It would simplify my planning and maybe save me some money. BTW, there are 2 adults, 2 kids and we're traveling in October. Mahalo!

on the lake...
Level Contributor
565 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volcano tour departing from Oahu or Maui

one other thought...although I'd really like to do a heli tour, is there a good land tour that would get us to VNP, etc...or are we good with a car and Big Island Revealed? We're usually pretty adventurous.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volcano tour departing from Oahu or Maui

You can google oahu volcano tour and get a list. I took a look but couldn't recommend one over the other. One of them was $263 each and you still didn't get the helicopter tour.

It looks like you don't have time to both land tour and heli tour. We did both but planned it differently. We caught an early AM flight and rented a car. We then looked around the area out towards VNP and finally arrived at the park. We had reservations for there. Late afternoon and evening was spent out on the lava field. Early in the morning we checked out Thurston Lava Tube and went to the airport for the heli tour. We got to Maui later than I liked but it was OK.

If it was me, I'd rent a car and head to the park. Watch the intro and go exploring. The tours are pricey and you might save money this way. Definitely worth seeing when we were there.

Pictures from our trip are here

www.alandsuejohnson.com/hawaii_pics_top.htm

if you're interested. Look at Big Island Pictures and Big Island Volcano pics especially.

on the lake...
Level Contributor
565 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volcano tour departing from Oahu or Maui

thanks for sharing. I've actually been to your website before looking at Yellowstone photos! Nice job.

4. Re: volcano tour departing from Oahu or Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:19