We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

Aloha!

We are planning a trip in June for a family of 4. Two 41yr olds, 1 20yr old and 1 17yr old. We want a good mix of fun and relaaaaax........ing! Our kids are use to only beaches within 3 hours from our home and this is the only vacation we have ever known. We would like to give them something special this time around without breaking the bank.

Please give your advice on which two island(s) you personally love / would pick to visit and why you love them for Mid to late June.

Where would you stay? We like air conditioning and some level of luxury but do not need "posh". We would like comfort with a good mix of island "feel."

Thanks a bunch!

59 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

What is your nightly budget in USD? Thanks! :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

$200 would be awesome :P, $300 is fine, $500 may be max.

Also, Is there such a thing as beach access on the big island with soft sand and not lava rocks or on a cliff? My searches keeps coming up with "beach within 2-5 min drive". I personally would like to wake up in the morning and go for a run right on the beach.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
3. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

As I said on your other topic, I would choose the Big Island and Kauai.

There are plenty of sandy beaches on the Big Island but the only ones with beaches large enough to run on either have no development or only have a hotel (Hapuna and Kauna’oa) and you’ll want a condo.

The Mauna Lani has lots of condos and they have various jogging paths that go through the ancient fishponds as well as some of the shoreline. Nice beach areas, very good snorkeling, but not big, long beaches. Maui will have more lodging right in large beaches.

Edited: 21 March 2018, 20:45
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

Thanks SheaG!

If we choose to stay the whole 14 days on the Big Island. Would you suggest staying on one side for 7 days and moving the gang to the other side for the remainder? Or should we just stay put in one place and drive to our tours? ATV - waterfalls and Snorkeling, Manta Ray night swimming, Dolphin swims are on our list - the rest of the time is eat, sleep and chill.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

I love the Big island, but I would not miss summer on Kauai's northshore. :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
6. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

Well, all ocean sports are done on the west side. For most people about a 75/25 split between west and east is the best approach.

I really loathe the ATV tours, they’re kind of anathema to the island. This isn’t a great island for waterfalls, but what we do have that’s publicly accessible you can walk to or drive up to, or take a permitted walking/hiking tour.

A big NO to dolphin swims. There’s a top question on the right hand side about them.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

Coalminer,

I can't miss the garden island right? Do you have favorite places you would like to stay on these two islands?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

That is my bias, but truly, I haven't been anywhere as tropically beautiful as Kauai's northshore.

Do you mean lodgings or areas? I am a budget traveler, but have stayed on several different locations on the Big Island, but we can do more bopping around as we are just a couple traveling, not a family. I would follow Shea's advice for a first visit to the Big island. On Kauai, I would stay on the northshore - there are several areas - Hanalei is my favorite town, but Princeville is close and has something for every budget. But if you want beachfront, you would need to choose Hanalei, Haena or Anini. :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

Oh goodness. Well then the dolphins are out. Thank you for pointing me to the link. What would you suggest as a different tour to do to see the island instead of the ATV tour?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10. Re: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?

You two are so kind. Thank you for all this. The Dolphin article made me sad. But I smiled at how amazing they are - swimming in safe waters while they sleep. If I was being bothered while I slept - I'd eat everyone that came near me - just saying....

Reply to: 14 Days in Hawaii in June - which 2 island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted