We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

Gainesville, Florida
1 post
single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

I've never been to Hawaii and am planning a trip with my daughter in early July. I feel utterly, ashamedly overwhelmed with the choice of islands. We'll be there 10-12 days in total, so I figure two islands might be best for us. We'll rent cars at each island and stay at nice resorts and combine partaking in the resorts and venturing out. Daughter is a fine swimmer who loves snorkeling. Dad is looking to relax. So, questions:

1. Which two islands would be best for first-timers?

2. On those islands, which resort(s) would be best? We could go $350 at the top end (more, if it's worth it). I'd love places that are kid-friendly, offer some activities, and draw families.

Many thanks in advance! I was thinking about going to a travel agent, but this forum seems quite remarkably helpful and welcoming.

6 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

Any of the 4 major islands will give you what you are looking for. Each is gorgeous and unique. Most are very family friendly too. My first visit to Hawaii was for 10 nights and we split it evenly between Oahu and Kauai. Loved it!!

You'll need to do a bit more research to find out which islands interest you the most. Take a look at the Summary of Islands in the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page to get started. Also, in each form is a menu at the top with "things to do." This part of the process is probably the hardest. You really can't go wrong with any of,them!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,385 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

I was also thinking Oahu and Kauai - but fishdiva beat me to it! :) And you are right, the Hawaii forums are some of the most welcoming and helpful - a good variety of travelers and locals that live on the islands.

Some folks are loving the Aulani on Oahu, but I am not sure what their price tag is - I would probably stay right in Waikiki though the northshore is lovely in the summer. On Kauai, I would look at Hanalei Bay resorts on Kauai's northshore.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,910 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

Snorkeling is better on Maui than Kaua'i, so I vote for Maui and either Kaua'i or Oahu.

Maui is full of fun and families every summer too. Do consider it as you research.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

You need to move ahead quickly with your decision-making ... as that's peak, peak (!) travel season.

Maui and Oahu are perfect for first-timers ... a good combo! Don't forget to book your interIsland flight and cars now.

On Oahu - you want Waikiki. On Maui, Kaanapali Beach.

Note that each of the Islands has its own Forum ... so post on the Maui and/or Oahu Forum for detail. And more readers and info, too.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
5. Re: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

I thought of Kauai and Oahu, too. Depending on the age of your child and how much time she usually spends snorkeling, I might change Kauai to Maui.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
6. Re: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip

Well I don’t know why no one has mentioned the Big Island since it has the best snorkeling and is the least developed and busy of the major four.

Any combo of two of the four would work, honestly, so I would read through the summary of each island and see what stands out. Oahu is awesome, but too busy for some. Best beaches, beginner surfing, restaurants. Maui has a lot of lodging options on beaches, second best snorkeling. Kauai has the least good snorkeling and ocean sports, but is what many people consider the most beautiful island, and very good hiking. It will probably be easier to find nice lodging on the Big Island on what is relative short notice.

Reply to: single dad & 10 year old daughter/ first trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted