We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of health care

1 post
Save Topic
cost of health care

can anyone tell me how much it would cost a non resident for say a week in hospital for a minor heart attack?

Trying to get an idea of what we need to be covered for!

11 replies to this topic
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of health care

Really, you joined TA today to ask this question....

Where are you from? Do you have existing insurance?

If not, buy some good travel insurance and stop worrying.

Outside of a local hospital administrator, which I don't believe we have in our forum community, no one could possibly answer.

And each case and hospital is different.

But probably a few hundred large for any extended stay.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of health care

$326,458.52

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,326 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of health care

SheaG - well done~~~~~~~~~~~~~~LOL!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of health care

Consider $1 Million USD coverage in the event of an unexpected Cardiac event. No predicting what the Tx might be...Interventional Angioplasty, stenting, CABG ( Coronary artery bypass grafts),ICU stay, Medievac flights...

We have $2 Million coverage to prepare for any possibility, until evac.

Be prepared in the event of limited coverages for pre-existing conditions.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of health care

Buy travel insurance!!!! I always say if you cannot afford travel insurance you cannot afford to travel. We always get unlimited medical expenses with ours.

I work in a hospital and have billed many tourists with no travel insurance ranging from the hundreds to tens of thousands. Their poor families often have to help fork out the huge bills.

I knew a man who purchased an $89 travel insurance, had an awful accident in a remote town in Vanuatu and had to be evacuated with Medic team, all up it came to around $50,000. All paid for by the travel insurance. Docs told him it was the best money he ever spent.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,304 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of health care

Shea's off by $3.72 - but I forgive her.

Good advice from Amberloo above. Take a look at your existing insurance coverage - and then buy a supplement. Make sure that you have emergency medical transportation, too.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,826 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of health care

David S, without knowing where you are from, it is really hard to help you.

If you have a preexisting condition, it is hard to find any company to cover you at all. And those that do, don't offer enough $$$ to cover the costs that are charged in the US of A. We found one company that will cover pre existing conditions, but only $200,000. And in Canadian $$, it's not near enough, for much of anything.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of health care

You'll be charged the same fees as a citizen of the US would be charged.

I just saw an MRI bill in the amount of $4500 for one test. That doesn't include the physicians fees. It wasn't done at the ER and wasn't done in Hawaii. If it had been, I feel sure it would have been higher for both reasons.

I also just saw an incomplete ER bill for a relative's ER visit that turned out not to be a heart attack. It is over $8000 so far and doesn't yet have the EKG and some other tests on it. All the physicians charges will come separately.

Again, that was not a heart attack situation, fortunately, and the entire time in the ER was only several hours. For a whole week in a cardiac care unit? In Hawaii. I don't know. But it would hurt.

Mentioned in this post
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of health care

Are you telling us you are not a US citizen? If you are one, unless your insurance plan limits you to providers within your home area, you should be covered.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,304 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of health care

<<If you are one, unless your insurance plan limits you to providers within your home area, you should be covered.>> Often affiliations (provider groups) will restrict you as well. And again, medical transportation is a big deal.

Reply to: cost of health care
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted