We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip itinerary help please!

Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip itinerary help please!

Hi,

We are looking at going to Hawaii in July and would like to visit Kauai, Maui and Waikiki. I was thinking of doing the trip in that order or would it make any difference in flights to do Maui first? We are travelling from Sydney so want to do Waikiki last so its just one flight on the last day.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
6 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip itinerary help please!

Waikiki is a small district within the city of Honolulu on the island of Oahu. Is that really all you want to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,225 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip itinerary help please!

Hi!

... How many nights will you be in Hawaii? You will want at least 15 nights. *And note that you will lose at least a 1/2 day with each interIsland flight.

... As Analise mentioned above, Waikiki is a District in the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu.

... FYI - July is super high tourist season. Kids are out of school and July 4th is a major holiday. Prices tend to be higher.

... Will you rent a car? You will need one anywhere except within Honolulu.

... I agree ... visit Oahu last.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,241 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip itinerary help please!

You will arrive on Oahu, book your flight to the first island at least 2-3 hrs after arrival to clear customs. The order of the others doesn't matter much!!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,933 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip itinerary help please!

Hopefully you have three weeks for this jaunt! With three "hops" you'll be losing over a day of vacation in lines. You'll land on Oahu and I would go directly to Maui, try and book one of the direct flights to Kauai from there and finish up on Oahu.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip itinerary help please!

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful info. We willbe staying at Waikiki while on Oahu but will definitely be doing a day tour to the north shore and other parts of the island.

We will be staying for 16 nghts from July 7. We will hire a car on Maui and Kauai but my husband won’t drive on Oahu, too busy, especially being from Australia, drving on the other side of the road. We have stayed previously on Maui and Oahu and the Big Island but want to see Kauai this time.

Last time we did an island tour by bus on Oahu but would like to do a private tour ths time so we just stop when we want, not waiting for everyone else! Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited: 27 March 2018, 05:17
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip itinerary help please!

Thanks mamma0233,

I only have 16 nghts but hopefully I can book the interisland flights for early morning so we don’t lose so much of the day. Still checking out which areas on the islands to stay at, hopefully the drive from the airport won’t be too long. Last time we stayed on Maui at Kannapali Beach which was lovely, any recommendations for other areas instead? I would like to do the Road to Hana this time, which we havent done.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Reply to: Trip itinerary help please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted