We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a must do on the big Island

Newcastle, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
What is a must do on the big Island

I am planning a trip to Hawaii for my husbands 50th. We are staying in Oahu but seriously considering coming to the big island for a few nights as we would love to see an active volcano. I came on a day tour years ago and was very disappointed as we only got to see smoke from a distance. This time I want to see the lava and quite prepared to go in a helicopter. Any suggestions on which tours are the best?

I would also love some advice on what else is a must do on the island please. Not interested in the mantra ray swim (that scares the hell outta me) lol But the summit looks intriguing

Thankyou so much for everyones help x

Mentioned in this post
2 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is a must do on the big Island

Conveniently there is a whole top question on the right hand side of the main island of Hawaii forum (where you are not) all about must sees.

When is this trip?

Currently you can hired a guide to tske you to a surface lava flow about 5-6 hours round trip, and the helo tours are getting s pretty good look, but that could change at any time,

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,826 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is a must do on the big Island

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g29217-…

Here is a link to get you to the forum page for the Island of Hawaii. Each island has their own forum. Look to the right of the page, once you are on the forum for the Island of Hawaii. There you will see all the top questions. They are easier to find, if you aren't on a mobile device.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

And here is a link from the top questions, from the Island of Hawaii forum. Lots and lots of ideas for you in there.

Welcome to Trip Advisor too!

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: What is a must do on the big Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted