We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu or Maui?

Madison, Wisconsin
4 posts
Oahu or Maui?

Hi! My boyfriend and I see there are cheap deals on flights to Hawaii right now. We'd like to book a trip and need help deciding between Oahu and Maui. We plan to be there for 10/10.5 days. We both enjoy hiking, seeing nature, and snorkeling. I've been to both islands when I was a kid but don't really remember which one I preferred. I'm leaning towards Oahu because it seems like there might be more activities (Waikiki beach, diamond head, snorkeling, pearl harbor), but Maui looks like it might be prettier/greener? Any suggestions on which one to go to? We're not the type to stay in a hotel resort with nice spas. We'd prefer to spend our time driving around and sightseeing.

6 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
662 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Oahu or Maui?

MAUI without a doubt... I had been to Oahu as a teenager and recently booked a trip that split Maui and Oahu and as soon as we landed in Honolulu, I instantly regretted leaving Maui. I guess it depends what you are looking for, since both islands have all you mentioned, but personally I could have spent a month on Maui. I enjoyed the relaxed nature and lushness of Maui. Im sure you won't go wrong either way. Have you considered splitting your time? Island hopping was pretty easy and affordable.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Oahu or Maui?

Well, I think there's doubt!! What time of year are you planning on coming? With at least 10 nights you do have enough time for both islands if the flights fit into your budget. Both islands are gorgeous and green and have their lush sides!!

Madison, Wisconsin
4 posts
3. Re: Oahu or Maui?

We're going at the end of June!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Oahu or Maui?

That's good because that is when the snorkeling on Oahu is really good. West side and north shore especially.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,930 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Oahu or Maui?

With 10 days, you could split and do both.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Oahu or Maui?

Always count your nights ... not your days.

Oahu and Maui are alike in some ways ... but very different in others. Get a travel guidebook for each - with maps. Trying to piece this together from memory is not a sound plan.

AS Nick noted above, if you have 10 nights, consider spending 5 nights on each Island. It's a very common approach. You'd need to fly interIsland ... but you "may" be able to fly home directly from the second Island.

You really can't go wrong with either Island.

<<Maui looks like it might be prettier/greener?>> Both Islands have drier and wetter/greener sides. Both Island are gorgeous!

FYI - Oahu and Maui each have their own Forums. (Yea!) You're currently on the generic Forum for the entire State of Hawaii. So - pull up the individual Island Forums and take a look. Much more info and many more readers.

Edited: 27 March 2018, 19:53
Reply to: Oahu or Maui?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted