We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikoloa and Kona airport??

Hastings, Nebraska
4 posts
Save Topic
Waikoloa and Kona airport??

We are due to travel to BI and staying in Waikoloa Beach Resort. Hearing that air quality is awful and people are staying inside. Also hearing Kona Airport is bedlam. Any of this true? We are considering cancelling this trip due to the conditions!!

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
291 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
4 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikoloa and Kona airport??

We don't know *where* you're hearing all this from--but it sounds like you need better resources.

Waikaloa has had some vog here and there-true. Is it constant and horrible-no.

I don't know why KOA would be "bedlam". It's about 100 miles from the active eruption area. Hilo airport isn't "bedlam" either. Both airports are open and functioning normally.

The Kailua Kona and southern points do have some very bad vog.

Edited: 22 May 2018, 19:15
Mentioned in this post
Keahole Airport
Keahole Airport
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hastings, Nebraska
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikoloa and Kona airport??

I read it on a TA post earlier today. Travelers from CA cut their vacation short and said Kona airport is “bedlam” because others are trying to leave too. They posted that the air quality got better on May 17th and then worse on the 20th due to change in trade winds.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikoloa and Kona airport??

Well, you need to consider the source, as I mentioned. One person's panicked reaction and being at the airport when there are a bunch of flights leaving--not bedlam, just busy.

You can look at webcams and even check flight arrivals and departures. You can read more than the one OMG I AM GOING TO DIE I HAD TO LEAVE posts, or not.

Shea, KK, and many of us have tried very hard to present and offer reliable info and sources. I encourage you to read more critically and more of the current info threads.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikoloa and Kona airport??

KOA is normally very busy. Flights arrive and depart full.

Air quality is great today in Waikoloa Beach Resort. It's bright sunny skies. The weather and air are the best they've been in months. There were a couple of days last week that were voggy, but that's it. Here's a website that I've posted before that shows the wind patterns and levels of sulfur dioxide and other chemicals in the air. You can drag the screen to show the levels in other parts of the world. The air is likely much better here than where you live. https:/…42.119

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
291 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: Waikoloa and Kona airport??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted