We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island - Early June

Utah
Level Contributor
81 posts
Big Island - Early June

I’m planning a trip to Big Island for 7 Days in June. I’m getting mixed responses about the current safety situation there. I haven’t booked accommodations yet. Where should we stay? What is still open? I’ll be traveling with a 6 and 3 y o.

8 replies to this topic
florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Big Island - Early June

Hi we will be there as well beginning June 12th. We were a bit apprehensive but we are all about the volcano and excited!We altered plans a bit. Originally staying at Volcano House inside the park but that doesnt seem possible. So i booked 2 nights in Hilo just in case Volcano House remains closed.Also instead of staying 5 days in Kona we shortened it to 2 at Magic Sands condo. The other 3 we found accommodation at Hilton Kings resort in Waikola. Vog is much less on that side. I use the Sheraton kona webcam. And Hilton webcam. Vog is heavy in Kona (on webcam) I have a 7yr old. I thought of canceling but its once in a lifetime experience to see lava flow :) hope this helps a little.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,744 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Big Island - Early June

monchy, donʻt go expecting to see live lava flowing. While things could change, currently anyplace where you could see live lava is off-limits for visitors. I do not recommend the lava boat tours; too risky. Thereʻs a whole topic about them on the Island of Hawaiʻi (Big Island) forum.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,203 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Big Island - Early June

To #1, do you realize no lava is accessible to the public--nor likely to be for some time?

To the OP, you will be fine on the Big Island, as long as you stay away from closed areas.

The Kailua-Kona area is indeed voggy-and worse lately. But other areas are fine outside the immediate active area of Kilauea. You would want to look for something on the South Kohala coast.

Utah
Level Contributor
81 posts
4. Re: Big Island - Early June

Thank you. Is Puako in the okay region?

Also, what parts of VNP are still open? What attractions are still enjoyable? Is the stargazing from Mauna Kea affected by the VOG?

Utah
Level Contributor
81 posts
5. Re: Big Island - Early June

Sorry, one more question. I was planning on flying into Kona on an inter-island flight and out of Hilo so that we do not have to back track. Is that still advisable or should I have my inter-island flight come in and out of Hilo?

6. Re: Big Island - Early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 19:32
Edited: 08 June 2018, 19:32

7. Re: Big Island - Early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 19:32

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Big Island - Early June

As Shea said above ... you're on the all-purpose, generic State of Hawaii Forum. You really want the ISLAND of Hawaii (AKA Big Island) Forum. Much more info there for you.

Reply to: Big Island - Early June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted