We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?

The top two recommended islands I keep hearing about are Maui and Oahu? Any other suggstions and why?

Half Moon Bay...
Level Contributor
40 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?

Maui is very touristy and party-ish. Oahu is nice if you are on the North Shore or Makaha side, and spend a few days in Waikiki just for yucks. We prefer the Big Island or Kauai; quieter, less touristy, etc.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island?

My favorite island ever is Kauai - I have travelled a lot to many places all over the world, but I have never seen such breathtaking natural sights and scenery as in Kauai!

Maui is nice too, but much more touristy - in Kauai there are no highrise buildings, the atmosphere is unique!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,332 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island?

More to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island?

What does "touristy" mean ??

Half Moon Bay...
Level Contributor
40 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island?

When I use "touristy" I mean lots of hotels, some nice, some not, crowds, traffic, ticky-tacky Polynesian shows and luaus, and something that is like the Islands on steroids. The pace on Kauai or the North Shore of Oahu is much slower, much more rural, and much quieter. I realize that many folks go to Hawaii for the "night life" and the touristy stuff, but we can only take that in small doses and much prefer the quieter things. I think Waikiki is fine for 2-3 nights at the end of a trip, but I'd go bonkers if I had to spend a week there.

6. Re: Which Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 01:18